What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Z marked B1 incendiary

Millsbomber's one seems to be B 2 - very nice though and would love one in my collection.

Well iv been looking through my incen examples and only found one with a Z marking as pictures, i have seen examples with a red Z painted on the body and fuse could these be the incendarys that were strapped to the bomb tails ???

Good point!

Maybe im displaying mine with the wrong tails then?
I do have an elongated set like those shown. Hard to find though.

cheers

waff

To get back on topic,i took a trip to my collecting room tonight and found a bit of a startling revelation.

I decided to have another closer look at those Z marked and made a little discovery...
After placing all three together on the deck and liberally applied some talc-powder to highlight the stamps,here is what i found..
All 3 seem to be made at the same time in 1938 and 2 of them are sisters out of the same batch!!
Although acquired years(and miles) apart,the two right hand units are twins!

Im a lot happier than i was early on tonight,believe me....

best

waff

Attachments

• S7007401.jpg
    S7007401.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 57
  • S7007404.jpg
    S7007404.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • S7007405.jpg
    S7007405.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 49
  • S7007406.jpg
    S7007406.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 49
  • S7007407.jpg
    S7007407.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 49
  • S7007408.jpg
    S7007408.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 45
The last picture in the last post shows just how close the one on the extreme left unit was to batch 233. It was also made in 1938.
But,then filling caps shown are not the ones that attached the exploder to?.
I personally think that these were mass produced with the Z on and were used generally? I suppose finding a Z on the body would certainly confuse the enemy and keep fire-fighters at bay?

best

waff

Attachments

• S7007409.jpg
    S7007409.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 22
  • S7007410.jpg
    S7007410.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 30
The last picture in the last post shows just how close the one on the extreme left unit was to batch 233. It was also made in 1938.
But,then filling caps shown are not the ones that attached the exploder to?.
I personally think that these were mass produced with the Z on and were used generally? I suppose finding a Z on the body would certainly confuse the enemy and keep fire-fighters at bay?

best

waff

Hear is my theory for what it is worth,now the standard ib had the ally screw cap on the end which was removable.

The exploding tail version had a two peice cup and gaine which replaced that ally screw plug.

I suspect although these are Z marked,they were never armed up as tail bangers and hense the screw cap stayed in place.

Although that could be changed if i manage to get the right parts for the ends:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Attachments

• Exploding incendairy 001.jpg
    Exploding incendairy 001.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 70
Cheers Gents,

What are the chances of finding sisters after all these years?
I think Mig has a good idea and i shall indeed pop a couple of quid on a lotto ticket later! :p

best

waff

Hear is my theory for what it is worth,now the standard ib had the ally screw cap on the end which was removable.

The exploding tail version had a two peice cup and gaine which replaced that ally screw plug.

I suspect although these are Z marked,they were never armed up as tail bangers and hense the screw cap stayed in place.

Although that could be changed if i manage to get the right parts for the ends:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Nice example i cannot see the gain pot in the picture, is it steel or bakerlite like the SD1, SD2 gain pots. Dave

I've had this one in my collection for some time. Not perhaps the best example of an incendiary I have ever seen but unusual in that it has the same Z mark near the tail fin.
Removing the tail fin reveals that there is no plug usually found on these just the threads, leaving me wondering if it did, at one time, have an explosive charge fitted? The tile breaker nose is firmly fixed in place, but is without all internals.
Apart from the ones that Paul has shown in this thread this is the only other example I have seen with this Z mark.

Kev

PB270733.jpgPB270734.jpgPB270737.jpg

Last edited: