What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Z marked B1 incendiary

waffenamt

Postie kindly left this in the garage and forgot to put a note in my letterbox,but hey! nice pressie to trip over before i put the light on! :xd:

B1 german incendiary with Z mark arse-end.

Comes with a lot of the fuze bits,completely inert of course.
Nicely stamped body,some still visible on the fuze face.
The tails need work on them as i intend to keep this lot together. The seller maybe able to find some provenance with this one as was acquired from a BD officers family.

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7007248.jpg
    S7007248.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • S7007249.jpg
    S7007249.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 87
  • S7007250.jpg
    S7007250.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 98
  • S7007251.jpg
    S7007251.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 83
  • S7007252.jpg
    S7007252.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 104
  • S7007253.jpg
    S7007253.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 93
Nice example waff, not seen one with the Z mark myself but you seem to be turning one or two up - good for you!!!

I have no idea, first time I see a Z marked on a B1. Something to see with the Z Flare Pistol?

Hi Grenademan2005,

According to a book I have the Z was found on the Kampfpistole and indicated a 'rifled barrel' - as opposed to the smooth barrel of the signal pistol, which looked identical.
it appears there were three basic variations of the standard signal pistol

the normal signal pistol
the kampfpistole (battle pistol) - this had a rifled barrel to fire grenades
the Strurmpistole (assault pistol) - this had a removable rifled sleeve so it could fire normal signal cartridges and was equipped with a shoulder stock and bubble sight.

hope this helps.

I think the Z on the incendiary bodies is for Zeit or time delay (only found on ones containing small explosive charges - either in nose or tail)

regards Kev

7 !! well thats immpressive what are the diffrences between them ? also what the avrege price for them ?

Hello Kev:
Thank you, I already know all that info about the German Leuchtpistole, Im a collector of them :nerd:. But I thought that maybe that Z had something to see with the Z marked on the Kampfpistole.

7 !! well thats immpressive what are the diffrences between them ? also what the avrege price for them ?

Hi matey,
I had about 12 at one time but moved them on as ive upgraded.
Average price around 75. I refuse to pay more as per some dealers sites...
All of the ones i have have very good stampings and fuzes and/or original paint and stamps on the tailfins.I have my eye on one or two more that pal-members have here in BOCN! :p...

best

waff

Thanks Reino.
3 of mine are all the same with that Z except the end caps are different under the tailfins?
I wonder if Z stamped stock was also used in a general purpose sense?

cheers

waff

I have come across several of the normal ones but never one Z marked.
Knowing German accuracy I don't think Z marked bodies would have used for normal use in quantities.

I have come across several of the normal ones but never one Z marked.
Knowing German accuracy I don't think Z marked bodies would have used for normal use in quantities.

Thats a fair comment Reino.
I still wonder why these of mine are Z marked and yet no trace of a screw-on end cap with a gaine adaptor?

cheers

waff

Very nice. First one I've seen with the Z marked on a standard B1E.

I have a 1944 IBSEN and it has the Z marked in the same place.

There's only 3 possibilities I can think of:

1) They changed their minds and put a different stopper in the top rather than the gaine holder.
2) I seem to remember that some of the B1EZ's had the gaine not in the tail but in the standard nose area (it shows it in After the Battle Blitz Then & Now Vol 1, in the section on ordnance). A friend bought an B1EZ from Beltring a few years ago and it had the gaine pot in the top but no Z marking, so...?
3) I wouldn't put it past some dodgy dealers to engrave on the Z to bump up the price - does it look tampered with up close?

Cheers

Austin

Hi waff,

take a look at this one in your own collection link below.
You note the Z marking on this one but the explosive is not in the base but in the front fuze. Maybe yours lacking the rear explosive container were fitted with the nose fuze originally???

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/something-special-t76263.html

regards Kev

Ah!! Nice one Kev!:tinysmile_twink_t:

I was going to ask as you have mentioned similar in an earlier thread.
Thanks pal

best

waff

Very nice. First one I've seen with the Z marked on a standard B1E.

I have a 1944 IBSEN and it has the Z marked in the same place.

There's only 3 possibilities I can think of:

1) They changed their minds and put a different stopper in the top rather than the gaine holder.
2) I seem to remember that some of the B1EZ's had the gaine not in the tail but in the standard nose area (it shows it in After the Battle Blitz Then & Now Vol 1, in the section on ordnance). A friend bought an B1EZ from Beltring a few years ago and it had the gaine pot in the top but no Z marking, so...?
3) I wouldn't put it past some dodgy dealers to engrave on the Z to bump up the price - does it look tampered with up close?

Cheers

Austin

Hi Austin,

Cheers for the info.

I garuantee there is no said dodgy stamps but good theory!

best

waff

Ex incen Bomb

Hi waff,

take a look at this one in your own collection link below.
You note the Z marking on this one but the explosive is not in the base but in the front fuze. Maybe yours lacking the rear explosive container were fitted with the nose fuze originally???

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/something-special-t76263.html

regards Kev
Well iv been looking through my incen examples and only found one with a Z marking as pictures, i have seen examples with a red Z painted on the body and fuse could these be the incendarys that were strapped to the bomb tails ???

Attachments

• HPIM5424.JPG
    HPIM5424.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM5425.jpg
    HPIM5425.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 41