What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M62/M30 Grenade, Hand, Practice

Hi Frank. On the tops or your grenade spoons I see in the last row of stenciling 9 -68, 8 - 68 and 4 - 70. Would these be manufacture dates or lot numbers??? Dano

Hello Dano,

The fuze in the attached photo translates as follows:

M215 = Model
IOP = Manufacturer (Iowa Ordnance Plant)
33-2 = Lot Number
4-70 = Date Of Manufacture (April 1970)

Stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• US Fuzes M215 2.jpg
    US Fuzes M215 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Dan,

I would think my friend, that loosing your manhood would be the last of your worries!

Great idea. I'll get onto it.

Hello COLIN, GTR003121, EODGUY, and SLICK

Great Job Gentlemen! If you want to add photos of related fuze variation(s) to your reference, here is a M204A2, M205A2 and M215 to get you started. Also photos of the M26 Frag Coil and M26 Factory Inert loaded if you want to add.

You may also want to consider starting a separate thread with this project, to keep things on topic and verified as accurate for future member reference and additions.

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Hi. Were these cement filled and red painted M26A1's just a NZ thing, or can examples also be found in the US? Cheers

Attachments

• RED LEMON.jpg
    RED LEMON.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 63
I've never seen those but maybe Frank or someone who's been in it a while has.

I tried to get some good pics of my M204 and M204A1 fuzes for this thread today but we had rain and the lighting was crap so I couldn't get any good pics. Will try again tomorrow.

I've never seen any concrete filled US practice grenades. US practice is normally colored blue, but gold/bronze is sometimes used for display items (means that it is not to be used with/as a delivery system) and orange is sometimes used for test/practice (means the item is "recoverable"). For R&D, items may be painted any color for different test/recovery purposes.

Hi.

Interesting about the cement filled ones. The gold ones are Aussie F3's (their version of M30). Cheers

Attachments

• Aussie F3.jpg
    Aussie F3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Please note that all of these assemblies are inert.

The attached picture lists the different types of fuze assemblies you will find used with US lemons. Many of these assemblies are very hard to find and GTR003121 deserves a special thanks for helping me put this listing together. Thanks to EODGUY, INERTORDNANCE and SPLITTER also for allowing me to use some of their photo’s. Even with all of this assistance I still had to rely on a bit of digital imagery to fill some of the holes. If you have some nice examples of these fuzes please add them to this thread or PM me. Of particular interest is a clear picture of the nomenclature on the red lever of an early M217.

Thanks again to GTR003121, EODGUY, INERTORDNANCE and SPLITTER for allowing me to include some of their very nice examples. Cheers

Attachments

• Lemon fuzes.jpg
    Lemon fuzes.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Colin,

That is a very well done display and very informative. Thanks for that, I really appreciate it! :tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_shy_t:

thank you fragman, and the other gentlemen mentioned for this illustration! i knew one of the senior members would have something like this!!
my gratitude, sirs!

I have an update to the double threading on the M30 bodies. Amazing what you can find in obscure files.

A recommendation coming out of the "Service test of practice hand grenade XM52" February 1968. Para 1.4.15

"Picatinny Arsenal indicated that the production models of the XM52 grenade body would have both ends fitted with threads. By so doing, both the M205A2 fuze and the XM225 fuze could be used with the same grenade body."

And Para 1.5 d. production model grenade bodies should be adapted to both fuze M205A2 and Fuze XM225.

And Para 1.6 c. Production model grenade bodies be adapted to both Fuze M205A2 and Fuze XM225.

Were the conclusions and recommendations followed, that I don't know. But, it seems evident that at least the concept was tested. So, the photos of the body with the double threading that fit the M205A2 and M228 fuze mechanisms may be from the tests if nothing else. the Threading on the M225 and M228 are the same.

Congratulations Slick, you seem to have a very interesting piece!!

Last edited:
I have an update to the double threading on the M30 bodies. Amazing what you can find in obscure files.

A recommendation coming out of the "Service test of practice hand grenade XM52" February 1968. Para 1.4.15

"Picatinny Arsenal indicated that the production models of the XM52 grenade body would have both ends fitted with threads. By so doing, both the M205A2 fuze and the XM225 fuze could be used with the same grenade body."

And Para 1.5 d. production model grenade bodies should be adapted to both fuze M205A2 and Fuze XM225.

And Para 1.6 c. Production model grenade bodies be adapted to both Fuze M205A2 and Fuze XM225.

Were the conclusions and recommendations followed, that I don't know. But, it seems evident that at least the concept was tested. So, the photos of the body with the double threading that fit the M205A2 and M228 fuze mechanisms may be from the tests if nothing else. the Threading on the M225 and M228 are the same.

Congratulations Slick, you seem to have a very interesting piece!!

What was a U.S. XM225 - M225 Grenade Fuze?

Frank

Fuze, Igniting, Impact, Hand Grenade M225- This was designed as a practice fuze to simulate the M217 Impact fuze. It is identical with the exception that the booster pellet is replaced with 10 grains of black powder. Thread diameter 5/8 inch.