What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe French AC projectile?

Grenademan2005

Hi:
This projectile was sold some days ago and ended for a nice price, Id like to know why? Maybe it is a rare WWII French AntiChar projectile? I say rare because the cases are found from time to time, but never the shells.

Attachments

• 68-00.jpg
    68-00.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 129
It is a Model 1888 type projectile

But is quite a long one so it would not be for the revolving cannon and would most likely be for the Deck Gun as mentioned in the previous post. It is I suspect rather more rare than the PD version. Being a Model 1888 it will have been in service from then until likely after WW1, maybe into WW2. The image shows the type of gun used with the Hotchkiss version projectile.

Attachments

• Pl.5  47mm.jpg
    Pl.5 47mm.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi Miguel,
I had seen that one up for sale as well and noticed it sell for a higher price than i expected, and was also wondering what case it should be in. Many thanks to Gordon and Kz11gr for your input.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Miguel,

The 3 pdr QF (47mm) stuff is hard to find these days, the French manufacture stuff I believe is rarer than the Vickers (British) ones...but not 100% sure.

I have only come across two 47mm cases (one shown in the pic), both were VSM manufactured, type 2 (there a rarer earlier type 1 case). Most other cases that i have seen have been "shortened" (& I'm not referring to the blank cases).

Cheers
Drew

BTW - This is one of my favourite rounds and kept it once I started just on fuzes....

Attachments

• DSCN3146.jpg
    DSCN3146.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3147.jpg
    DSCN3147.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3148.jpg
    DSCN3148.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
Hello Grenademan.

Could you please post the total length of the shell (without the base fuze) ? (152 mm ?).

180 mm and 1,9 kilo. I have never seen so money for a French shell so I thought that I must ask about. Nice round Dronic, but yours is British, isnt it?

Hello

Thanks for the informations, grenademan.

I was thinking it was the 3.5 caliber, but with your dimensions, It seems it's the "4 caliber Mle 1892".
Filled with 50Gr Melinite and base fuse 32/35 mle 1903.

The earlier one

likely had a black powder filling the new improved version with Melinite which is Lydite or Picric Acid was an HE filling.