What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. 216 40mm Ammunition Box

TomcatPC

Hello

If this attachment works, this is a C 216 Box that I was given years ago by one of my Dad's friends. From what I could find out, this box is a British Ammunition Box for 40mm rounds for the Borors AA Gun.

Of course, the colour is not original as this box was spray painted yellow and had been used a tool box when i got it.

What would the original British Colour have been? I need to repaint it and get it as close as I can to the original colour.
Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• DSCN2135.jpg
    DSCN2135.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
And the inside. The reddish-brown colour that can be seen in places is primer. I had run our of paint by the time I got to the inside, which was almost all covered in rust.

Attachments

• DSCN2138.jpg
    DSCN2138.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hello

Service Brown No.2, is that the brown colour that is commonly seen on most of the H.50 and H.51 Boxes?, or at least the majority that I have seen. I have one of each and both are the same Brown Colour, and they match the photos I have seen on this site.
Thanks
Mark

Hello

All right, looks like I have it sussed. I know one or two companies here in the US that make an almost identical match. Looks like I have one more restoration project to do. Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Mark

Here is one I have in the US in green. I believe it's the original color because the stencils on the side are visible over the paint. The color inside is a little richer and probably reflects the original color better as the outside has been exposed to sunlight and other environmental factors for 72 years.

Does anyone know the maker of this one that used the letters I N ?
DSC_0266.jpgDSC_0267.jpgDSC_0268.jpgDSC_0269.jpgDSC_0270.jpgDSC_0274.jpgDSC_0275.jpgDSC_0276.jpgDSC_0264.jpgDSC_0271.jpgDSC_0272.jpg

I suspect that this is a WW2 early U.S. made box, as the colour is an exact match for numerous U.S. made N.O.S. Bofors parts I have. Therefore I presume the maker "IN" is American. This light bush green colour is also the same as Australian Bofors guns for the first part of WW2, but strangely our C216 and C219 ammo boxes were nearly always a darker British or Canadian green.