What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

150mm German Chemical projectile

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Has anyone seen this projectile before. It is a museum piece at Aberdeen.
It has a filler port and plug, but it looks like a modified shrap round.

Any ideas what the nomenclature is and is there anymore information out there on it?

Dia: 150mm
Length: 397mm

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM-71-12.jpg
    ICE-SM-71-12.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 97
  • ICE-SM-71-17.jpg
    ICE-SM-71-17.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ICE-SM-71-18.jpg
    ICE-SM-71-18.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ICE-SM-71-19.jpg
    ICE-SM-71-19.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 58
Looks like an early German shrapnel round, the opening was for loading the balls. Look in the UK "Notes on German Shells" book, or the French equivelant. there were a couple others in the PA collection, also miss-marked. We included them in the P46 CW Guide just to illustrate the mistake.

Yeah ... I am finding some mistakes. This is not the ony round I have seen like this. Do you have any documention of them modifying their shrap rounds to chemical?

Joe

Not Germany. France did it early on, the UK modified lots of stuff looking for a good seal, but Germany was generally in front of the crowd with better designs and higher quality - as usual. Modification of the shrap projectiles opened up lots of problems with sealing, which is why the French used internal containers when they tried it. For good info look in "Chemicals in War", by Augustin Prentiss, 1937. He will walk you through each of the major players design evolution, with plenty of diagrams to boot.

An unfortunate thing about the PA collection - and the only bad thing I have to say about it, is that someone, somewhere along the line, painted over all original markings and repainted each item, adding their own description. Practically criminal, and a real pain as many of the descriptions are simply wrong.

yes .. and the countries were off as well. It is a big pain when trying to Identify and add to the pubs, so I have had to be very careful.

I have read through Prentis's book many years ago. I might have to reread it again. Luckily our library has a copy since this is one book I don't have my own copy of.

Joe

German shell

Oooh yes, there is just a little problem,

your shell present no screewed separation like a traditional Schrap shell.

Yoda

Attachments

• GE 12 cm Schrap-01.jpg
    GE 12 cm Schrap-01.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 65
it's a "15 cm Schrapnell 92" which has no screwable head, a filling hole and an official length of 396 mm.

@Yodamaster: there is also one type of "15 cm Schr. 07" which is cast in one piece, but it has a different fuze adapter with other shape.

Last edited:
And for the 07 but this one has no filler hole

Attachments

• Rw-1WK-150k-32.jpg
    Rw-1WK-150k-32.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 41
Just a stupid question; how did they get the ejector plate ( Stossboden ) in the shell shown in MB's drawing?

really simple, the shell was cast around the plate :tinysmile_grin_t: These old Shrapnell bodys are all of cast iron.