What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BLU Crew

Pictured are 3 BLU-36 subs in the collection. One on left is inerted live version and other 2 practice. Kind of futureistic looking Vietnam era pieces that don't require an extreme layout of LARGE to obtain.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 972.jpg
    Picture 972.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 973.jpg
    Picture 973.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 62
Dano,

BLU= Bomb live Unit, BDU= Bomb dummy unit. If it is blue practice it is typically a BDU. It is posible to have inert versions of BLU items, like your first example, but if they were intened to be inert from the start for practice they are most likely a BDU designation.

Dano,

BLU= Bomb live Unit, BDU= Bomb dummy unit. If it is blue practice it is typically a BDU. It is posible to have inert versions of BLU items, like your first example, but if they were intened to be inert from the start for practice they are most likely a BDU designation.
Hi John, Appreciate the clarification. Would the Blue practice units on right be BDU-36 then?? I'm learning here......Dano

But dont you have to have the fuze to qualify for BLU status??:wink:

Attachments

• mine stuff 032.jpg
    mine stuff 032.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The designation would refer to a particular assembly designed for a specific function. BLU's are designed for warfare theatre use and typically explode high order upon fuze function, or burn, or dispense as designed. In service dispensers they are explosive filled with fuzes. They can exist as inert assemblies for training and be missing components, but they were originally designed to be BLU's.

BDU's were designed to be used in training (simulated bombs) not warfare as a specific assembly and are issued their BDU number, which is not the same number as a BLU of the same shape. They can have explosive spotter charges (typically low explosive black powder) that makes a puff of smoke upon fuze function (impact or delay).

Here is a site with a huge amount of info about the individual items:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-b.html

Unfortunately Dano, this will open your eyes to hundreds of additional items for you to scour the earth for. Good hunting!

Also FYI there are submunitions that are not identified by BLU or BDU numbers.

Here are the designations for the aircraft dispensers with listings of the devices carried by each dispenser:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-s.html#_SUU7

Last edited:
Thanks John, Though alot to swallow at one time and a whole lot of fish to fry. I have marked the bottom of my pieces BLU-36 and BDU-68 as I don't catalog things as of yet. I may just hold the subs there as I am now homing in on some 40mm period stuff. My funds are limited so just a slice of this and a slice of that. Of all things I ordered an RFX M21 with correct fuze as I wanted one with all the posting that's been going about. I wanted one of course from Vietnam era but realize no way to know for sure. Until a rich uncle kicks I have to be selective.......Dano

Last edited:
In agreement with HAZORD, the BDU versions with the spotting charge can be just as nasty as the BLU. Take the 2.75" HYDRA for instance. It contains basically the same VERY sensitive fuze as the war shot, but with a HEALTHY spotting charge. The BDU 76/Mk 33 25lb Practice bomb contains either the CARTRIDGE, SIGNAL, PRACTICE BOMB MK 4 or its Air Force equivalent, which is pretty much a lengthened aluminum shotgun shell filled with a spotter smoke (F/S, Red Phosphorus or White Phosphorus) that gets blown out upon impact. And going to ground side, some 40mm PRACTICE rounds also contain a live fuze with a healthy spotting charge. Many a person, even knowledgeable trained personnel, have gotten "bit" by innocuous seeming "practice" rounds. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but just because it says "PRACTICE" doesn't mean safe. I'll step off my soap box now:tinysmile_twink_t2: Regards, Bruce.

I have researched and found pictures of about 90% of the BLU they go from the size of the BLU-43 dragon Tooth to the MOAB warhead so you have 1 only 124 different /B models to go.