What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills tool and unknown brass ring

Panzerbr

Hello, I found this tool which have seen better days in an area littered with spent .303 rounds. Probably in the area british soldiers had a small fight with retreating german soldiers.
All around the place I also found many brass rings like the one portraited. I have no clue what it is but it may be related to some ordnance. Any idea?
thanks

Attachments

• P1029769a.jpg
    P1029769a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P1029772a.jpg
    P1029772a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P1029773a.jpg
    P1029773a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 39
no idea about the rings,they look a bit like the rings from a tarpaulin or tent sheet,the tool is definately for removing base plugs from mills grenades

Attachments

• P1010962.jpg
    P1010962.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi, they are approx of the size of 1 euro coin and made of brass. They appear a bit irregular on the edge, I tried to match them with other tent eyelets but they're different. No clues.

I am treating now the tool with a special product which will convert the rust into metal, in order to preserve it. It was an unusual find!

they look like! but the problem is that they are all scattered in the deep woods with ammo and stuff.

I reccon Spotter has it just right first time, the ammo etc being covered in tarps and all but these rings have rotted away, including the wooden boxes etc in which the munitions were stored.

Andy

I took a picture of one of these rings, in the center of other tent/tarp rings. You can see that they are thinner. I usually find them as singlets and not together with other finds, in open fields. Maybe the explanation is very simple but I am not getting it yet.

Attachments

• P1039786a.jpg
    P1039786a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
Yes bud, they look like the eye rings for tarps or cam nets, they are pretty similar today. Could even be from poncho's too.
Ime sure this is the best explanation there is.

Andy