What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about M26 grenade storage cans

chewbacca

I've seen M26 storage cans/tubes before and they have all been marked as such. Are there any unmarked genuine M26 storage cans/tubes? Also, Is there anything that came inside the can along with the grenade? I know other grenades came with small pieces of styrofoam or cardboard to protect the fuze and to keep the grenade from bouncing up and down. Was there anything similar that came standard in the can for the M26? I'm looking at buying some cans like these and want to know what to look for. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have seen and owned M26 cans both with grenade and without. I have seen flat cardboard squares, some different forms of cloth squares and also a porous brown paper used to fill in the airspace above and below the grenade.

I don't know precisely when the styrofoam packing pieces were introduced, I would say early to mid 60's if I had to guess. I have seen M26A1's and later types come with the styrofoam inserts, but I haven't seen the styrofoam inserts packed with M26's.

As for unmarked M26 cans, they used the M-289 with the M26 and M289A2's for the M26A1, M61 etc.

I also have a couple M289A1 cans which are smaller. Both are for the M30 practice type. One is for the M30 body only and one is for the complete M30 with fuze. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Yeah that helps a lot. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. I've seen pictures of your collection of this family of grenades and boy is it impressive. The grenade canisters I'm considering buying are completely unmarked. The seller says they are for the M26 grenade. He says he used to have an entire crate of the canisters and the crate was clearly marked for the M26. Is it possible the canisters are legit? Thanks again, Preston

No problem Preston, and thanks for your comments.
The best way to know if they are correct M26 cans is if they are M289 cans, and if they are they will have "CONTAINER M289" embossed into the metal ends on each half.

But you also have to consider that live M26's wouldn't have been issued in unmarked cans. It may not even matter to you, it's just something to think about before you spend the money or trade or whatever your plan is.