What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 81 Smoke Candle

specopsaust

Hi everyone,

According to Spotter's list in the sticky, the No. 81 is a ""Gren Smoke Screening (WP/HCE) Bursting and Emission AFV Dischgr"

Not knowing much about British smoke grenades of the WWII period, I'm assuming a smoke candle is a smoke grenade?

Does anyone have a diagram, data or reference photo for the abovenamed?

Cheers

Thanks for the link roller :top: Now I'll be stuck on lexpev's site for hours :)

So these were designed for tanks and other armoured vehicles to "pop smoke" using the tube thingies on the side of the vehicle?

Reason I asked the original question is that Aussie SF ground reception parties were using these grenades on ops in WWII for marking stores DZs and para wing used them during training as a ground wind indicator for jumps.

If the grenade has a bursting WP component, then why use them and not something like this: http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/unitedkingdom/generatorsmokeno5.html?

I know they used the No. 77 WP grenade, but it was used as an offensive weapon on ops.

Cheers

Skennerton's Introduction to British Grenades ISBN 0 949 749 10 9 has no diagram but states that the 81 looked similar to the No 80 but had a flat base and the lower part of the body was screwed on. One section was a bursting Phosphorous grenade, the other emitted smoke. This gave an instant screen that was then maintained by the emitted smoke. He states it was mainly for AFV use. My understanding of the definition of a smoke candle is that it is a short duration smoke generator. Similarly an illuminating candle would be a parachute illumination flare.