What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7,92 x 94 Panzerbchse Patrone

pzgr40/42

Hello,

I'm looking for a drawing I'm sure I've seen here a while ago.

It shows an experimental 7,92 x 94 round for the Pz.B 38/39 fitted with the hardened steel "panzer" projectile with copper drivingband instead of the normal SmK.H.Rs.Ls. projectile as used with the Patrone 318.

Besides this I'm curious as to which types of AP projectiles have been identified for certain to have been used (either as service ammo or as experimental ammo) with the Patronenhlse 318.

TIA

Menno.

Last edited:
Hey Dutch (is that "Willem" by any chance?)

That's the one I mean indeed. A round using this bullet type is listed in the Brand and Windisch book, but this book is known to have some faults.
I'd like to be sure a round using this bullet with the 318 case did indeed exist.

greetz,

Menno.

Unfortunately I am not sure the Patr. 318 were loaded with the 8 x 57 PZ bullets.
The Germans found out by the invasion in France, that the PB 38/39 did not reach there exportations. Starting in 1942, the remaining PzB 39 rifles were rebuilt with a shortened barrel (590 mm) and an affixed firing cup attachment threaded to the barrel and used to launch standard rifle grenades. Why should they make experiments with an inadequate system?

Known is, that the company Rheinmetall-Borsig in Berlin became an order to load 20 000, 8 x 57 cartridges with these bullets. Loaded in cases, send to them by HWA (Heeres Waffen Amt). These cartridges have all the well known eej S* 6 42 head stamp.

Rgds
Dutch

@menno, Groeten aan Mokem :tinysmile_twink_t:

Attachments

• Pz3.JPG
    Pz3.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 52
this ammunition was used by the luftwaffe in northern France, mixed with tracer, incendiary and explosive.

Attachments

• CINTA792-1.jpg
    CINTA792-1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 64
Hallo Willem, Mokum stuurt de zonnige groeten terug :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hmm, quite unfortunate that even you are not sure wether or not the combination of the Patronenhlse 318 / Pz Geschoss ever existed (being one off the most knowledgable people where all "things 7,92 mm" are concerned !).
The major problem I have is being certain I've seen a drawing of the combination Hlse 318 /Pz Geschoss on this very site, but for the life of me, not being able to remember in which thread.
I've tried a search, but came up with nill, otherwise it would have been childsplay to determine wether or not the drawing is an original wartime item!!

@Hasag,

Very nice picture, is that set in your own collection ?

Thanks,

Menno.

As far as I know from documents the PZ bullets where made for the Luftwaffe for aircraft guns.

They make no sence for the 318. Solid steel is too light for AT purpose.

I found a German ammo box recovered from a German plane in the area of Peronne, and the combination of the belt is the same as that of photography.
The box gave me the person who recovered the plane in 1943, unfortunately did not know what plane it was all the ammunition ....:( tape was dated in 1942