What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 1/4 Pr Case 37x124

Gspragge

Premium Member
I have added these images to the Kings Norton thread, but I will add them as a separate posting so it is easier to find. I had this case about 3 years ago. Same size as a 1 1/2 Pr case. But I think it was for the 1 1/4Pr loading. We had two (maybe more) of these Maxims in Canada. I didn't know what the
1 1/4 Pr. was at the time and had only heard of it in a "Mythical" sense at the time. Now we know it is this case with the standard 1 Pr projectile. I think this case predates any of the 1 1/2 Pr marked cases. It is fired so a bit blown out at the neck. Notice the VS&M in the circle and the "Nordenfelt" groove around the primer. If you have one of these you are lucky indeed ~
(to date there is no known case stamped 1 1/4 Pr. even though the drawings
indicate this - no surprize really)

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 43
1 1/4 pr case 37x124

Gspragge
I have a case the same as yours, V.S.M. & nordenfelt groove. It came with
a V.S.M. III proj. missing the base fuze, WHITE OVER RED NOSE BANDS.
Could this be a correct proj. ?
Thanks Frank

I think so

These cases would be reused. The MKlll projectile is very uncommon. There are wartime cases also which are likely more common than the one you have.
The 1 1/4 Pr didn't stay in use long in the UK - a year - on two ships. So these cases would still be on hand and used for the 1 1/2 Pr which is what the MKlll is being the issue version. I'll see if Highlandotter will post his MKlll & casing head stamp. If I found the case we are talking about in Canada I would consider it a 1 1/4Pr because we used them. If I found the same in the UK I would think 1 1/2Pr because of what was used.