What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors Storage Tube?

Darren

I have this container, can anyone tell me if it is a 40mm Bofors storage tube?

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 006 (1599 x 304).jpg
    006 (1599 x 304).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 74
  • 007 (1242 x 1147).jpg
    007 (1242 x 1147).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
Sorry I don't know but if someone has access to packaging info it should be easy to find out. The container 335 Mk 1 is a rolled paper cylinder and would therefore most likely be an inner container from a wooden or steel ammo box. The SV prefixed numbers relate to design or drawing numbers and if the drawing SV 246 A could be located it might well say on that what the 335 Mk 1 was designed to contain. Later, such information was given in Part 1 of the RAOC Statistics pamphlet. This lists ammo by nature and type, the packaging it was contained in, the Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) per 1,000 rounds, weight etc. If the 335 Mk 1 was still in service from, say, 1975, then it may be detailed there. Yours reminds me of the 2 inch mortar inner container but I believe those were grouped in pairs that were connected together, three bombs in each cylinder, six bombs to a carrier and three carriers to a box, and I can see no sign of that on yours.

Sorry I don't know but if someone has access to packaging info it should be easy to find out. The container 335 Mk 1 is a rolled paper cylinder and would therefore most likely be an inner container from a wooden or steel ammo box. The SV prefixed numbers relate to design or drawing numbers and if the drawing SV 246 A could be located it might well say on that what the 335 Mk 1 was designed to contain. Later, such information was given in Part 1 of the RAOC Statistics pamphlet. This lists ammo by nature and type, the packaging it was contained in, the Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) per 1,000 rounds, weight etc. If the 335 Mk 1 was still in service from, say, 1975, then it may be detailed there. Yours reminds me of the 2 inch mortar inner container but I believe those were grouped in pairs that were connected together, three bombs in each cylinder, six bombs to a carrier and three carriers to a box, and I can see no sign of that on yours.

Thanks for the info, its a great start.

Darren

Well I'm still at a dead end with this one, someone must have seen a tube like this one before? I will take some measurements tomorrow as that may help.

Darren

I thought these tubes were for 40mm bofors. I have one with the same markings and the bofors round fits perfectly.
Hangarman

I thought these tubes were for 40mm bofors. I have one with the same markings and the bofors round fits perfectly.
Hangarman

Yes the round is a good fit, mine also came with a 40mm Bofors round in it hence why I thought that was what it was for. Hopefully someone here will know exactly what the markings mean.

Darren