What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors Round...

Darren

A nice 40mm Bofors round with the projectile still crimped in place and a dummy fuze.

Fuze stamped: DUMMY No251 III AEM 1942

Projectile stamped: 40 BOS RCO LOT 56 5/1941 (there are also 3 or 4 arrows stamped with 32 under a couple of them)

Headstamp: 40M/M II 1942 CF LOT 26 0

I know the obvious like the date and LOT number, can anyone add anything to this from the markings?

Also i am looking for a 1941/1942 primer to complete this round, if anyone has a spare that is correct for this round for sale please let me know.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 001 (1573 x 275).jpg
    001 (1573 x 275).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 002 (1579 x 494).jpg
    002 (1579 x 494).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 003 (1604 x 444).jpg
    003 (1604 x 444).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 004 (1618 x 392).jpg
    004 (1618 x 392).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 005 (1176 x 1104).jpg
    005 (1176 x 1104).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 90
Bofors design Primer type.

You may have a little difficulty locating one of those primers Darren as they are the Bofors design and not the most common of primer types !

Out of some 12 cases I had in my collection that were wartime dated only one had the Bofors design primer-you do see them but I expect you will only get one as a complete case w/Primer !

Good luck and we can all keep our eyes open for you.

Also very nice round in pretty good condition and well keeping hold of.

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

I think I have a case somewhere with the primer you need.
I'm not going to attempt to remove the primer though,because they are buggers to remove and last time I tried I knackered it up!

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Darren,

I think I have a case somewhere with the primer you need.
I'm not going to attempt to remove the primer though,because they are buggers to remove and last time I tried I knackered it up!

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,
No dont try and remove it if it is a tight fit, the last thing you want is to end up with a chewed up case/primer.

No worries as one will turn up at some point im sure.

Cheers,
Darren

Thanks guys,

Thanks for the info Chris, im in no rush and im sure one will turn up at some point in the future. This round only arrived today and is a definate keeper. I have a few 40mm bofors rounds now in my collection, they are great rounds.

This particular one arrived in the storage tube here: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/40mm-bofors-storage-t77881.html?t=77881 not sure if it is correct for this round though??

Darren

I'm not sure what your tube is for but here is a photo of mine. They are open at both ends without any type of cap.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/c-219-t27553.html?p=61016#post61016

Attached a picture of 40mm Bofors case and tube I sold at SA some years ago.

Attachments

• bofors-box-1.jpg
    bofors-box-1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
The primer is larger than the normal British type and has three slots instead of 2. Look for a cut down case with one in. I had a trench-arted one when I was about 14 but I swapped it for some other stuff.

Thanks for the info on the cardboard containers, well my container looks pretty different and has completely different markings on it so I have no idea.

One end the metal cap is fixed to the tube, the other end the metal cap slides off.

Perhaps it is for a different round completely. I'm sure someone will beable to offer a positive ID at some point.

Thanks,
Darren

Your looking for a Primer, Percussion, Q.F Cartridge, No. 18 Mark II or a Primer, Percussion, Q.F. Cartridge, No 12 Mark III with an Adapter No. 12, Primer Mark I.