What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnam mini flechettes

Bob, what are the different diameter cylinders in the middle of the flechette payload? Are they just blanks for balance?

Justr solid blocks to space the layers of flechettes into the optimum diameter for dispersion once released. No energetic material in them. Bob

Here is the movie that I have, showing just about everything you wanted to know about Cobra's firing them in Vietnam.

http://wn.com/VIETNAM,_THE_FACES_OF_WAR

Go to just above the bottom and you'll see allot of movies with their times and look for the movie entitled: "Viet­nam War: Cobra Gun­ship." Nice video, as I have it here at home on VHS.

I went back over this film and noticed something I didn't see the first few times I watched it. When he dumped the first row of "Nail's" on the cardboard they were not wrapped in the cloth holders. They were just dumped out with the Orange dye and I noticed that some were reversed/backwards in that row. Is that the way the Flechett 2.75" FFAR's were back then? I thought they (all the other weapons that could shoot flechettes) used the cloth holders at that time?

Thorughly confused right now and need some help?

flechettes in RVN - 12 ga, 90mm tank (could be for direct fire or set for how many yards out), 90 mm recoliless (straight cannister round), 106mm recoliless same function as the 90mm tank rounds) 105 and 155 guns (could be direct fire but also with a MT fuze for in direct fire, they aLSO CAME IN 3 DIFFERENT SIZES IN THE 2.75. As for 40mm they were played with, and are now used in the MK 19. Sorry they didn't see service in the M79 or 203 as they proplusion system wouldn't give them enough velocity (which is why the shot shell 40mm has so few pellets for the diameter, I have spent the better part of 30 years chasing this question.