What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unfinished 37mm US APC M59

37mm M74 APT.jpgGrenademan2005.
Most 37mm M16 cases I find have M74 APT projectiles in them. Here I show 3 different makers for M74 projectiles.

Projectile with original print. Stamped upside- down on the lower band:
LOT - 22530- 26 - 1942 E.M.C. 37MM M74.

Stamped on top band :
LOT - 121 - 23138 1 1942 FN 37MM M74. (Is this USA or Belgian?).

Stamped on lower band:
27 - 23144 - 3 1942
NSCO - 03 - 37MM - M74 (What projectile should fit this case with high mouth crimps?).

I read this interesting thread and now I'm confused.

What I understand this is a M59A1 :
37mm m59a1.jpg

I'm disappointed with this M51B1 (from this thread) : strange crimp groove for fixing the penatration cap and uncommon large crimp groove for the case :

37mm M51B1.jpg

Other question. I found other examples with this large crimp groove on base. Diagrams never show this kind of large groove. Is it an official variant or a wartime method of manufacturing or for a specific case ?

1 1944.jpg37 1944.jpg

Hi Ron3350.
The FN stamped projectile is US and not Belgian manufactured, i will have a look through my notes and see if i can find the manufacturer for you, i have a 40mm M81A1 APC Bofors round with the same stamp. As for the case with the higher crimp it is for the M2 Canister projectile, see image attached.

20200412_155631.jpgD7D93DE6-EEAB-41D2-997F-A1CA1B43DC1E.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Weasel.
I actually had a cannister projectile in the wrong case so swapped it into the correct high crimp case.
I took no notice of the crimps until I took the photos.

Hi Ron3350,
Your FN marked M74 shot was made in Richmond Indiana by the F & N Lawn Mower Company.
Thanks for posting that.

If you'd like to determine the manufacturer of any of your US Army AP ordnance components (37mm-105mm) - I have put a database online at WW2ammo (dot) com.
It is not really ready for prime time yet and is still in its infancy - but I can use all the help I can get!
If you have something not in the data base yet please drop me a line here or via the website contact form and I will add it. It will be greatly appreciated by me and anyone else who is interested.
I am matching the codes to contracts but only including an entry if someone can verify that it was actually produced in the contracted year. I will be happy to acknowledge you on the site for the verification. Lot numbers are helpful in the matching process.
The web site works well on your phone too - in case you are ever out and about and stumble upon something unfamiliar.

Hi Ron3350.
The FN stamped projectile is US and not Belgian manufactured, i will have a look through my notes and see if i can find the manufacturer for you, i have a 40mm M81A1 APC Bofors round with the same stamp. As for the case with the higher crimp it is for the M2 Canister projectile, see image attached.

Any chance you can post a picture of the year your M81A1 was produced? FN had contracts for "shot" which spanned 1942 - 1945. I'd like to add it to the DB as explained in my previous post. Thanks!

No problem at all Jeff, i will take a few decent pictures of it for you. it is dated 1945.

Other question. I found other examples with this large crimp groove on base. Diagrams never show this kind of large groove. Is it an official variant or a wartime method of manufacturing or for a specific case ?

The US Ordnance Department allowed manufacturers to form the crimp groove either way (forged or machined) - utilizing whatever method resulted in the most production at the lowest price. The groove is NOT case specific. The variation did not warrant a change in designation.

Last edited:
I have examples of each and i will take some pictures for the thread, there are differences in the way the windshield is attached ansome unscrew while others don't as mentioned.
Top M51 B1
M51 B2
M51 B3
Thanks for the great picture showing that the B3 had a pointed piercing cap - like the M51B1. So that seems to eliminate a change to the piercing cap as being the cause of the B3 designation.
Does anyone have an example of an M51B3 that does NOT have a threaded ballistic cap (ie. is crimped)?
Does anyone have an M51B3 that was NOT made by Crucible Steel (CSA)?

Last edited: