What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on shell markings

jozefb2009

Hello all,

Can anybody help me identify some symbols?

On a 77x230mm German C 96 c/A shell, the symbol attached in picture 391a2.jpg which is an enlargement of the picture 391a.jpg?

On a 77x230mm German shell, the meaning of the 'crown' with below the number 11 which you can see in the attached picture 319a.jpg?

Thanks,

Jef

Attachments

• 391a.jpg
    391a.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 391a2.jpg
    391a2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 319a.jpg
    319a.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 85
great headstamps!

The "HS" Monogram is an unknown factory, which should be located in Saxony as the case is accepted in the Artillery Arsenal of Dresden. This factory produced only some lots in 1917 if I remember right.

The crown on the other case is a normal prussian acceptance stamp which was used until 1914/1915 and then completely replaced by the Sp***, Sb***, AWDr**, etc. stamps. Your second case was reworked in 1908 by Polte for the F.K. 96 n/A. Thats why it is twice accepted.

Last edited:
I looked it up:

38 Lots had been produced in the "HS" factory between February and December 1917, all were accepted by "AWDr 60" in Dresden.

I am also much interested who is behind "HS" Factory Monogram, this one is the last unknown 7,7 cm manufacturer. It should be a privately owned company.

Hello Alpini,

I have some questions about 7,7cm manufacturers. I hope you can help me.
Do you know which manufacturer used "G"?
Are there any other (German) 7,7cm cartridge case manufactures than these ones: AEG, AWDr, AWS, FN, G, GFSP, HS, Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe, Polte Magdeburg and Rh.M.F. Dsseldorf?

Thanks,
Mathias

Hi
Just to say that your case 1898 is not the same as the other and it's first and light type
The other case with St is the new type succeded to the fisrt.

Hello Alpini,

I have some questions about 7,7cm manufacturers. I hope you can help me.
Do you know which manufacturer used "G"?
Are there any other (German) 7,7cm cartridge case manufactures than these ones: AEG, AWDr, AWS, FN, G, GFSP, HS, Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe, Polte Magdeburg and Rh.M.F. Dsseldorf?

Thanks,
Mathias

On a quick view you only forgot "HL" which is Hauptlaboratorium Ingolstadt and "GG" which is the "Geschtz-Gieerei" in Spandau (same as GFSP).

But this is only valid for 7,7 cm brass cases. For steel cases I think there are some more factorys...

G=WMF Geislingen, rare early WMF Headstamps have written "Geislingen" if I remember right.

Thank you very much for the info Alpini!
Do you maybe know how many different types of 7,7cm steel cases exist? I attached some pictures of the two different types I have.
(I hope Jef don't mind I use his topic to ask all these questions.)

Mathias

Attachments

• img5752.jpg
    img5752.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 41
  • img5754d.jpg
    img5754d.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 59
  • img5755p.jpg
    img5755p.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 51
Hello,

according to the book "La Flak 1914-1918, Volume No. 2" by Delsert, Dubois and Kowal, on p. 161, SH in a "sun" stands for Siemens-Halske.

Arjen

In field phones made by Siemens & Halske the logo is arranged the same way, but S is remarkably tall and narrow - not at all like this.

Last edited:
Yes Alpini, the logo in your link is what I mean. The one shown on website is an artist's impression but the real thing is quite the same though not necessarily in a circle.

Thanks Alpini and Tmine35 for the clearification.
I don't know which sources the writers of those books used for their claim but it seems they were wrong!

Looking at the sign, could the "H" be a "I"? So it could be IS or SI...

Kind regards Arjen