What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 x 385 round.

SG500

Premium Member
The attached round shown (for scale) next to a standard 40mm Bofors L60 is a round I can find out nothing at all about. It is not in my collection unfortunately and apparently I'm well down the queue too:tinysmile_cry_t4:
The headstamp is
LOT 3
RM/C
The head (base of case) diameter is 76mm
The calibre is 40mm
The projectile has 40mm stamped on it along with other faint markings.
Does anyone have any information on it? Its been shown in ECRA and the ordnance society many years ago but nobody seems to be able to help.
Thanks,
Dave.5 Feb 2011 001.jpg5 Feb 2011 007.jpg5 Feb 2011 005.jpg5 Feb 2011 011.jpg5 Feb 2011 009.jpg5 Feb 2011 006.jpg5 Feb 2011 004.jpg5 Feb 2011 003.jpg5 Feb 2011 008.jpg5 Feb 2011 010.jpg

Thanks Frank.
The rim diameter is 76mm.
I'll measure the projectile length in a couple of weeks when I see it next.
Dave.

Just to add to this thread, I have been informed that the maker of this case is Canadian.

A paragraph in Ian Hoggs "British and American Artillery of World War 2" states on page 74 in the last paragraph:

"An interesting derivative of the 2pdr was the Canadian "David" high-velocity gun. This was designed in 1942 and was essentially a 2pdr with an enlarged chamber and a 6pdr breech firing a round which comprised a 2pdr shot and a 6pdr cartridge case. Development was slow, because of problems in ammunition design. A gun and ammunition were sent to Britain for trials, but there were still in progress when the war ended. The project was finally abandoned, but it had yielded much useful information on high-velocity guns which proved useful in other applications"

Interestingly this round came from a junk shop quite close to Pendine experimental ranges in West Wales many years ago................

I'm wondering if the round in this post is one of these rounds. Its not a necked down 6pr7cwt, the rim diameter on the 6 pounder being 90mm and this one being 76mm but it does look a lot like a scaled down 6pr7cwt. Anyone got any thoughts on that or even some design drawings or data on the David high velocity gun.

Dave.

Hogg doesn't say which 6pr, 6pr 10cwt is about 76mm rim, could do a compare sizes around the base and along the body..

Hogg doesn't say which 6pr, 6pr 10cwt is about 76mm rim, could do a compare sizes around the base and along the body..

Good point, next time I go and visit the guy I'll take along a 6pr10cwt case and compare it.
Thanks for the idea.
Dave.

Good point, next time I go and visit the guy I'll take along a 6pr10cwt case and compare it.
Thanks for the idea.
Dave.

To confirm, the rim on the 6pr10cwt case is the same at 76mm.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've just measured my 6 pdr 10 cwt and the rim is 78.6 mm.

Thanks Tony, I think my ruler must have been out, your round used to be mine so best run with your measurements as its the same case we're measuring.
Dave.

Last edited: