What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 No 24 grenade markings

roller63

Premium Member
I have a No 24 Rifle Grenade with a small triangle impressed into the brass parts, but no other markings, is this a makers mark ? Tony.

I think it is likely to be an inspection mark. I did try to locate the triangle mark in manufacturers monograms etc., without success. "XL All & Co" did use a triangle with letters XL inside but not necessarily on their grenades (they did make the No 24).

That triangle mark is a common feature on the later WW1 rifle grenades . I also have no idea about the significance . Norman is probably spot on with the inspection mark proposal.

Hi
Hales lost the contracted to produce any more , and th goverment had them made by there own contractors.
the triangle being the goverment mark. Hale was acused of being a War profiter

one of my No3 Mk1's has the triangle on the stem just above the windvane and is also marked "THE COTTON POWDER Co"

Attachments

• no3 markings.jpg
    no3 markings.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 21