What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange (for me anyway) Mills Type Body

I have what is an otherwise unremarkable body - with two sets of holes for the pin

The base plug is marked no.23M Mk1 but is no real help to me as it may not be original to the body which is painted greyish (with just a hint of green in certain lights) and narrow red band in top groove. Internal ally bits marked '5' and arrow in U which denotes local (SA) mnfr but this may/may not also be original to the body. Molded 'S' and 'E' left and right of the handle respectivelyand 'A' and 'P' below filler plug.

My search on this and other sites has not helped so would appreciate any input.

TIA :tinysmile_grin_t:

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

does it look like this? This is a WW2 No 36 M Mk 1 Drill Mk 2. It has 2 sets of holes, one set for the ringpull & pin and a second set for another pin to stop the lever from flying off so it can easily be recocked.

Andy

Attachments

• Drill Mk 2.jpg
    Drill Mk 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 47
Nice one Paul.

here is another one, slightly different design of pin. i had been after one of these for years then 2 turned up last year!!. Got this one at the War n Peace show for 35 quid so well pleased.

Andy

Attachments

• Drill No 36 Mk 2 2.jpg
    Drill No 36 Mk 2 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks guys.

The second set of holes holds the lever down in exactly the way the standard set does, just a lot closer to the striker. Under a magnifying glass they look original without disturbance of the paint, same size but without the slight chamfer of the normal ones.

As for pics - I haven't been able to work out how to do this on this forum - normally use Photobucket but FAQs specifically ban the use of using other host sites. Any brief how-to's on this subject?

Hi Peter,

what type of grenade is it? No 5/23 or a No 36?

Its easy to load pics, do it straight from your PC, dont have to use photobucket or any other host. Just go to advanced after writing post and press 'manage attachments' and follow the instructions, dead easy. Without a piccy i cannot say much more.

Andy

Pic

DSCF0039.jpgHere goes

Thanks for the input Paul & Andy.

Having looked at your images and REALLY looked at mine closely with torch and mag glass, I believe mine is also a drill grenade - the holes in the body which I took to be part of the de-ac process, appear to be painted as well so probably contemporary. My holes are just differently located but, with the bar in place, would serve the same purpose.

Which would be the more correct way for me to restore mine - bar peened on both ends or Bent wire as in Andy's specimen?

Any idea what the S/E and A/P denote - other than A/P probably being anti-personnel?

Never before seen one, even though I used Mills36s in the late 60s (and then only live HE - RDX/TNT if I remember correctly - in brown lacquer - no prac or drill) hence my confusion.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

well done with the picture, looks fine.

Nice looking gren, how many holes are there in the body? Do i see traces of white paint?

I dont think it matters which way you do it, both my grens are different and both look like they have been done a long time ago. The easiest is to use a straight bit of wire but i would do it in the way which pleases you the most.

Do you intend to restore the body with a repaint?

Andy

Thanks Andy

One set of holes - straight through both sides and ally internals.

Will go with the peened wire style - neater I think. That's basically all the restoration I plan to do.

The paint job is strange but definitely old and worn so it's good enough for me. The white showing through on the corners looks more like an undercoat than remnants of typical drill white.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Cheers for now.