What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Bomb

ETordie

I recieved this item never seen one like it. it seems to be a hollow cast in concrete or some mix close to it. there are no marks (i.e. dates, lot numbers, etc) except for a line from the casting. Any help would be great! Thanks!
JoeyIMG-20110215-00005.jpgIMG-20110215-00004.jpgIMG-20110215-00003.jpg

I believe it is ceramic of a sort, too light for concrete. I found one at a gunshow in Walla Walla Washington in the mid 90s, no ID yet. Mine was apparently filled with a blue marker dye. Can't find a photo right now, I'll add it later.

Here is mine. Appears to be identical to yours, but from the opposite end of the country. In the second photo you can see the remnants of the blue-green powder fill. Dye marker for practice?

DSCN1926.jpgDSCN1927.jpg

Yep just like mine I have some of that residue in mine as well. Any idea as to when or where it came from? At least I know it was not a novelty or anything!

Joey

No not really. The guy I bought it from had a whole story to go with it, but the story had more than a few holes in it and was third hand at best, so I pretty much ignored it. I haven't seen anything on it in the years since - but still looking. How long have you had yours?

These bombs are very interesting and I have had no luck trying to find any info on them. So far the only thing I turned up is a similar one for sale on the internet.

WWW2 US Navy Signal Drift Bomb, Bronze, Very Rare
WW2 US Navy Signal Drift Bomb, Bronze. These are made of pressed ceramic type materiel that break into a bronze powdery substance when dropped from airplane. About 10" high by 3" diameter. Excellent Condition. Very Rare. $50.00
http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/U.S. Ordnance.htm

Using this desciription, I haven't been able to find any information in any of my technical references.
DSCF1316.jpg

Nice catch! - but looking at the accuracy of some of his other descriptions of items for sale, I'd be pretty cautious of accepting this description.

Great! It has gotten me further than I would have on my own! I have had mine only a few weeks but i am crazy about this stuff and it really bugs me not to know. I also found the web site that Ammocat found which was a good find but I tend to agree with subs about this sites accuracy. I live next door to the military aviation Museum http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ so I will see if I can get into the library to do some research. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

ET

Nine years later, but still going...
I got called by local law enforcement recently on an individual clearing out an estate that had found some ordnance items. Included in them was one of our mystery items, new (ish) in the box. When it was described to me it was explained that the item "was leaking gold dust" from a taped nose. After identifying that there was no hazard, the owner was simply interested in turning a quick profit, it shortly after became a new addition to the collection. This time it was easily found in OP 1664, I have no idea how we missed it previously.
A couple of differences however, it is not the same item. The fill on the previous finds was a blue/green powder, not a gold metallic. Additionally, the new item, while correct to the OP, is larger than the earlier item. The first item is 75x210mm, the new item 90x255mm.

IMG_2063.jpg IMG_2064.jpgIMG_2065.jpg IMG_2066.jpg