What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ugliest fake i've ever seen

Beside this being the ugliest piece of trench art? i've ever seen, We have an M1917n/A German egg Grenade mounted on a base that reads "Ypres 1915". I am usually not one to call ordnance ugly but this has to be one of the homliest fakes i've ever seen. I remember when it sold on ebay and I put in a very modest bid, (I thought if cheap enough would be at best a novelty item) and if memory serves it brought a small fortune. If a BOCN member bought this piece I profusely apologize. As they say "in the eye of the behholder"...Dano

Attachments

• bgbkpcwb2kkgrhqioki4er_63bvfpblftbghqng_12.jpg
    bgbkpcwb2kkgrhqioki4er_63bvfpblftbghqng_12.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Hi Dano - I see what you mean! The grenade is clearly a recently dug heavily rusted relic given a quick coat of paint & stuck on an old piece of turned wood and stamped using a set of letter punches - why would anyone have ever put anything like this together in 1915? - the base is totally out of proportion and it just looks wrong. eBay has a lot to answer for by providing an easy no comeback venue for unscrupulous sellers - my favourite pieces are Trench Art aircraft, usually with a bullet for the fuselage - but any appearing on eBay now are almost without exception fake - same with Trench Art letter openers and lighters - these seem to be being churned out in quantity in France, as I first saw them at some of the bigger fairs there.

Agreed Nick, Seems WW1 trench art is being turned out wholesale in France circa 2010 etc...Some of the thrnchart shells with finite artwork can be worth healthy dollars hence a fair market for fakes. This egg ensemble was just someones idea of a novelty joke. Beware the pricier trenchart (shell vases with great intricate artwork) because their value as a work of art can reach astounding numbers, hence big money in reproduction/fantasy pieces....Dano