What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15cm howitzer

warbird26

DSC01163.JPG can anyone give me some info on my 15cm howitzer i cant find any other pics on the net that look much like this and would be interested to find out how much it is worth as im in the process of downsizing some of my collection thanks x x

It looks like a 15 cm Gr. 14 m. v. F. (15 cm Shell Model 1914 with forward driving band). It was not fired by howitzers but with the 15 cm Ringkanone. They reactivated these old guns at the beginning of 1st WW and produced new shells like yours for it (with forward driving band).

I agree with Alpini, very nice early war shell but not a howitzer. Have often wondered purpose of dual driving bands (maybe to stabilize flight out of barrel) like this 9cm shell I have pictured. Anyway would it be possible to get a close-up of the fuze so I can see markings? The Dopp Z92 series has alot of stamping variations. Too bad that "big stuff" is too cost prohibitive to ship overseas!.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 65
Hi Warbird26,

Can you give us the length of your shell (without fuze) to make a good identification. Thank you.

Az16

I have to correct a litte failure in my previous post, it is the "15 cm Schrapnell 15 m.v.F". The shell has three lower driving bands the shrapnel exist with two or three, but now I also see the filling plug which makes it the shrapnell.

Last edited:
Alpini,

Still trying to downsize? I would be interested in any german fuzes or ordanance you have to get rid of?

psv6.jpg
We've been trying to identify the above similar-looking shell at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207503 . However, its forward driving band is narrow whereas photos such as yours and at Lovett Artillery show a broad forward band. Any suggestions ? The person took the photo in France near Noreuil. He didn't measure it but remembers it was much bigger than typical shrapnel shells. Incidentally, the IWM has a photo showing a similar shell to yours :
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30023672

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I have to correct a litte failure in my previous post, it is the "15 cm Schrapnell 15 m.v.F". The shell has three lower driving bands the shrapnel exist with two or three, but now I also see the filling plug which makes it the shrapnell.

Hi Alpini
In my documentation the "15 cm Schrapnell 15 m.v.F" has a screwed head and no filling plug. I don't find any drawing matching this shell

The only 15cm I found with a filling plug is the "15 cm Schr. 92" but it has only one driving band.
Perhaps it's not a german shell?

Hi
I've found in very good condition a 15 cm Shr mvf (i think 15) with 3 littles driving bands near the base and an other on body (so 4 driving band)
Stamping on base H15
No filling plug on head screwing
Fuze dopp Z 92

@silent knight: I think warbird's shell was combined with the wrong head piece of a 15 cm Schr.15 (it would follow the bad done restoration)

@Doctor: are you sure your shell had a threaded head part? If not it could be a 15 cm Schr.80/92, these are "one piece" made of cast iron.

Last edited:
It seems that the "15 cm Schrapnell 15 m.v.F" can be found with 2 or 3 lower driving bands and with or without filling plug.

So does the 15cm Ringkanone use a cartridge case & if so what would the dimensions be?

Thanks,
Regards Ozzi.