What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 50 Fuze

Hi klug,
There are a few threads in BOCN covering the subject. If you cant find any reference via the searchbox,then please give me a shout and i will post some info. Maybe the other lads may be able to post some info up?,its late here.

best

waff

Waff,
Wouldn't you describe it more as an anti-disturbance fuze rather than an anti-withdrawal Fuze?
Regards,
John

The 50 or the 50B-Y, John?

Perhaps i jumped the gun and assumed klug was asking for 50B info! Typical me,oops!

Will be back later on this :)

best

waff

If its the 50 CPPY fuse your talking about its charged when it leaves the plane and when it hits the ground the spring switch arms the
fuse as picture
HPIM5504.JPG

The Anti withdraw works by when the fuse is pushed it to the fuse pocket the steel ring at the base of the fuse freely moves down as it has a flush surface to act against, when the fuse is withdrawn this steel ring becomes jammed into the fuse pocket because of the cone arrangement inside the steel ring, it can be removed but chances are you will set the fuse off before its completely removed, a very clever booby trap as it allows the victim to think that hes nearly defeated the fuse.
HPIM5505.JPG sorry all my examples have the steel ring missing

Sir;
I would think the anti-disturbance will function long before one gets a chance to try an extraction!
Regards,
John

So true John, i was merely trying to explain in layman's terms how the anti withdraw system of this fuse works, i may have got a bit carried away with the description of removing the fuse from the pocket, i forgot to state that the fuse head should be frozen with liquid oxygen by applying a clay crucible around the fuse head and the frost line marked along the bomb cast every 1" with cotton wool making sure its stuck fast to the case and more than 10" from the fuse head before trying to remove the fuse from the fuse pocket.
What thy would do nowadays i have no idea but in WW2 that's how thy done it. please dont try this at home as liquid oxygen makes things burn easily.

Regards Dave

Good man Dave for your informative and entertaining posts old friend!

Im a little busy chasing up work on my small business at the moment and are letting things slip a little when it comes to answering post of this calibre. Keep up the good work buddy ;)

best

waff