What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6-inch Naval Practice Shell

Juzzy

HI,

Just thought I'd share some photos of naval shells that were taken in the New Zealand Naval Museum at Devonport, Auckland. The first one is of a 6-inch practice shell that was used by the NZ Navy for its WW2 light cruisers. Second is the blurb on the wall explaining the practice shell. Third is a comparison of the 6-inch, 8-inch and 11-inch shells used in the Battle of the River Plate. Fourth & fifth photos show details of the 6-inch Mark XXIII naval gun. Sixth photo is of HMS Achilles in February 1938, seventh photo is of the Achilles 6-inch guns shortly after the Battle of the River Plate on Dec 13th 1939. Last photo shows the Y-turrret of the Achilles at its current location at the Royal NZ Navy base at Devonport, Auckland.

Does anyone know how common these 6-inch naval practice shells are in the collecting arena ? My grandfather served on the Achilles during the Second World War, so I'd love to have one in my collection one day........

Attachments

• 6-inch Practice Shell 2.jpg
    6-inch Practice Shell 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 6-inch Practice Shell 1.jpg
    6-inch Practice Shell 1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Battle of the River Plate Shells.jpg
    Battle of the River Plate Shells.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 6-inch & 4-inch naval guns.jpg
    6-inch & 4-inch naval guns.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Breech Mechanism 6-inch Mark XXIII gun.jpg
    Breech Mechanism 6-inch Mark XXIII gun.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 49
  • HMS Achilles, Feb 18th 1938, Melbourne Australia.jpg
    HMS Achilles, Feb 18th 1938, Melbourne Australia.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Achilles after Battle of the River Plate.jpg
    Achilles after Battle of the River Plate.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Achilles 6-inch guns in Y-turret.JPG
    Achilles 6-inch guns in Y-turret.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
Howdy Juzz,

This projectile is relatively common here in Oz, reckon I have had about 5 thru my hands over the years, only seen one with drive bands though. They must come off during firing. The pic of the praccy proj. seems to be a fired one as d/bands are missing & chip off the nose where it hit something.

Anyone else got info on this type of prac proj?

Thanks for posting info

Regards Ozzi

I have just obtained this projectile, and was wondering if it could be the 6-inch practice projectile I was talking about above. I have reposted the museum projectile for comparison. The rusty projectile I have is 150mm diameter (5.9 inches) at the base, 515mm high (20.3 inches) and weighs 42.5kg according to my bathroom scales. It has no visible markings, and has a slight indent in the middle of the base. Apart from the Mark XXIII naval guns that were on the WWII NZ Cruisers, the following 6-inch guns have also been used in NZ: 6 inch BLHP disappearing guns, BL 6 inch MK VII, BL 6 inch MK XXI, BL 6 inch MK XXIV, BL 6 inch P III naval guns, BL US Army 155mm field guns, BL 6 inch MK XI on HMS Chatham and BL 6 inch MK XIV on HMS Dunedin (probably others types of 6-inch guns too that I don't know about). I'll also post about this in the ID section of the forum. Cheers.6-inch Projectile 1.jpg6-inch Projectile 2.jpg6-inch Projectile 3.jpg6-inch Projectile 4.jpg6-inch Projectile 5.jpg6-inch Projectile 6.jpg6-inch Projectile 7.jpgAchilles 008.jpgAchilles 009.jpg