What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 projectile with 2 lines?

ken68

Hi all i have seen APi projectiles but mine dont look the same they have lead filling boat tailed 50 cals ? story has it they were damaged in a firefight in iraq ammo boxes all split up ,these ones are not perfect some dings dents etc, i have put next to a normal ball .50 and a drill spotter , oh aye .50 beowolf .

Cheers kenny :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Headstamp would help. The lead base could be just a sealing pad, so they are probably API or possible AP Hard Core.

Regards
TonyE

They dont look like the current British contracted in CBC projectiles

Left API Right AP

Tony

Attachments

• P3110001.JPG
    P3110001.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 36
I bought them from battleorders last year never though as advertised inert .50 cal projectiles ? i cant find a like for like match , and there are no markings on them .

Do I presume from your comment that you only bought bullets and that the first picture you posted is simply one of the bullets placed in a spare case?

I recognise that square cut identification cannelure but cannot think of where from. It is not Kynoch (who used knurled cannelures). Raufoss perhaps?

Either way, it looks like I was right, although it could just be steel cored ball.

Regards
TonyE

View attachment 50717Yes sorry they were all lose ,but I did get cases as well marked k 69 L11A2 ,the api and ap ones I have seen in searches are not the same as these , battleorders sold them as imperfect condition ,possibly war damage ? I have come across steel. core 7.62 before and is same feeling tip to toe with magnet
Cheers kenny

Last edited:
They are not L11A2 projectiles which were the Observing (ranging) round for the Chieftain tank main gun. Although these were steel cored as well they were identified by two fine dotted cannelures (see attached).

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• L11A2.jpg
    L11A2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 32
Any chance these could be 12.7mm bullets - not actual .50 cal?
Not at home so unable to look through my stuff/notes but I am sure I have some of these in 12.7 cases.

Ah yes the soviet 12.7x108mm could well be H,but to me they do have that 'Swiss' look about them?

Tony