What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

genuine 1st world war trench art paper knife.

Darrol

Premium Member
i have had this in my collection for some years now and thought i should post this one due to its construction of two french 8x51 lebel cartridges and a shrapnel ball in the split bullet with a blade made from some shell.havent seen many as nice as this one.the blades engraved SOUVENIR OF KEMMEL .this was in a frends family for many many years .i found this one interesting .cheers DARROL.:tinysmile_fatgrin_tIMG20110312_013.jpgIMG20110312_012.jpgIMG20110312_011.jpg

Nice letter opener Darrol, I have not seen one with a shrapnel ball attached before. I have a few letter openers myself here is a couple made from drive bands.

opener_1.jpg

Hi .the copper drive band knifes are harder to come by and the work that someone put into youres is really fine .havent seen one that detailed before.regards Darrol.

Darrol - I suspect your paper knife is a post war souvenir made for the many visitors to the WW1 battlefields in the 1920s. I have a Belgian 7.65mm cartridge case engraved with "Hill 60", the only problem being that it is a 1929 cartridge!

Regards
TonyE

hi tonyE ive been asured by the family that its been with them since the great war . either way its a handsome piece.i have another paper knife that what could be a 7.35 but i cant read the headstamp because of a solderd on bullet.will put more pics up soon.regards Darrol:ridinghorse:

The skill and time it took to produce this trench art it fantastic and I'm alway happy to see all and any exaples keep them coming please.

REgards John