What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW11 Trent art shell

zephyr4

I am not sure what the shell is but the case has been inscribed
ORTONA-XXX-111-MCMXLV-ITALIA.
The roman numerals don't make much sense to me, I know the Canadians had a hard fought battle at Ortona.

DSC00394.jpgDSC00396.jpg

Agree with Gunni, it is a 40mm Bofors L/60 made in 1942. It has been reloaded once ("CFF") indicating two loadings Cordite Full Charge. Icannot quite make out what is stamped around the primer. Is it "FIDDIAN"?

Regards
TonyE

what nobody has pointed out is the primer adaptor from the old large Bofors design to the later smaller British primer, never seen one before, didn't know they existed.

i have checked the other 40mm cases I have and they are all small primer's.

Thanks for the help z4

Very nice and ornate piece of trench art. This was done by a true artist. With trench art it runs the gamit from sloppy to beautiful. I totally agree with the idea someone came up with with a seperate catagory for trench art items. Much of the trench art items were made for soldiers by enterprising French artists right after the hostilities ceased (both wars). Some were home made by the soldiers themselves. Anyway back to the shell. she is beautiful....Dano

Thanks for the comment Dano, I have about 150 trench art shells but I have only checked a few for the caliber and maker of the cases.

I can understand that some think the shells would have been better left alone but you have to remember that people had to try and make a living the best they could after the war.

z4

Last edited: