What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wilson MK1 Dummy

hink441

008.jpg011.jpgI got really lucky and found this on E-Bxx of all places. I have only seen the one Paul has posted on this forum and felt I had to get this one. I did not know when the next one was going to come along. After winning the piece, I did a little research and found out that the "Thomas E. Wilson & Co" were in business from 1915-1918. After 1918 the name was changed to "Wilson & Co.". In 1925 they became "Wilson Western Sporting Goods". In 1931 the company again changed its name to the current "Wilson Sporting Goods". I know there is some question about these items; were they made for the US Army, or were they a game piece?? I am unable to find anything concrete that says one way or the other. I do think it would be unusual for a manufacturing company, during a heavy war-time production effort, to produce a game piece modeled after the short lived US MK1. Does anyone have any information on these interesting pieces?? Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I feel pretty lucky finding this one. Mine still isn't as nice (condition wise) as yours though!!

Great find hink, might be worth contacting Wilson sporting goods as big companies such as this often have an archive department and maybe someone could direct you to the existance of an early catalog. It is at best a long shot, but worked for me once............Dano

Hink,

Nice find. Here is my example. I've seen perhaps 2 or 3 others over the years so they don't seem to be really common.

Unfortunately, I can't add anything useful regarding them being issue items or an athletic training device. I've always thought they were GI but really hadn't considered it very much. Hopefully someone else has some information on these.

Rick

Attachments

• PICT1384.jpg
    PICT1384.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Dano, thats a good idea I will try it and see what happens. Rick, really nice looking Wilson you have there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I realize this is an old thread, but Wilson Sporting goods replied to my question. They said they do not have records that go that far back, but they appreciated the interest in their company. Oh well i guess the mystery continues. Anybody have some new info??

Chris

Wilson catalog

Did find this 1929 Wilson catalog on e-bay. Unfortunately it mostly deals with baseball gloves. Point being that there IS a catalog out there somewhere that will have this grenade in it....Dano

Attachments

• !BsBNLV!!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DQEvMGr)6YzBL2J9lw)YQ~~_1.jpg
    !BsBNLV!!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DQEvMGr)6YzBL2J9lw)YQ~~_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 35
i found this original ad but its a very small resolution and un readable.
a better copy must be out there somewhere

Attachments

• wilson grenade poster.jpg
    wilson grenade poster.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 66
Found this great bit of paper last month and thought it needed to be added to this old thread.

wilson1.jpgwilson2.jpgwilson3.jpgwilson4.jpg