What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another Gibbons.

gothica7

Premium Member
Got this today,

a very nice example of the Mills No 23 mk 2 Gibbons Spring gren.

Its in great condition, no damage at all, been galvanised but also shows traces of white paint so was originally white. Base plug made by W.E. Blake of London and dated 4/17, also in good nick. It has several other unusual points in that it has a brass centre tube that seems never to have been removed so its possible it was rejected after having the tube inserted and they could not be bothered to remove it. I will not even try to remove it as its now all part of the gren's history.
It is also very easy to read the words 'Gibbons patent applied for 15094/16' on the spring.
A very nice gren with which i am well pleased and all for well under a ton. Makes this the No 7.

Andy

Attachments

• Gibbons 1.jpg
    Gibbons 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Gibbons 2.jpg
    Gibbons 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Gibbons 3.jpg
    Gibbons 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Gibbons 4.jpg
    Gibbons 4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Gibbons 5.jpg
    Gibbons 5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 62
  • Gibbons 6.jpg
    Gibbons 6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Snufkin;182561]Andy,

Fixed it for you...

Tom.

Well done Tom,

obviously, even after being lazered, my peepers aint what they should be,

thanks.

Andy

Very Nice Example Andy, never seen one with a center tube in and all my examples are Zinc coated....... Dave

Hi Dave,

the centre tube really looks like its been there a very long time. Of course it could have been added by someone a while back to make the base plug sit easy, we will never know but the verdigris does take a while to collect.
Tom and i did see white ones in the bowels of the IWM a few years ago whilst looking at their 'hidden' Mills collection and i have one i had to take down to bare metal so i may consider painting it white.

Andy

I went down in the cellar or cells of the IWM but i was not impressed with what i see in the mills line up, the rifle grenade collection was nice, there was a store room that i could not look in as we were out of time but i did see through the door way lots of Grenade boxes, thy did not have a clue what the grenades were, i left them one of Rick Landers grenade books, i wonder if its still there.

Sweet! Nice addition to the collection Andy.
...as rare as hens teeth on this side of the pond.
Well done!

Cheers,
Brad