What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liquid Explosive...

Following is something I got off the web, it is every accurate
Astrolite G
Astrolite G, the most common type of Astrolite, is a mixture of ammonium nitrate and hydrazine at a ratio of 2:1, measured in weight, forming a clear, viscous liquid approximately the consistency of motor oil. It is a relatively stable (secondary) high explosive compound, requiring a blasting cap to detonate. It has a detonation velocity of approximately 8,600 m/s. It has been widely (and incorrectly) referred to as the "world's most powerful non-nuclear explosive", a misconception caused largely by a cursory comparison of Astrolite G's detonation velocity to that of first and second-generation high explosives such as nitroglycerine and TNT. In reality, later-generation high explosive compounds such as PETN and RDX feature comparable detonation velocities and brisance to Astrolite G while boasting higher density, thus producing a more energetic explosion in actual practice.
Astrolite A
Astrolite A, a secondary (and less common) type of Astrolite, is synthesized by the addition of finely powdered aluminium to the Astrolite G mixture. Though it has a lower detonation velocity (approximately 7,600 m/s) than Astrolite G, the addition of the aluminium increases both its density and brisance, moderately increasing its overall effectiveness.

It had a very short life, and was never fully adopted by the military, they determined TNT and C4 were just fine. Plus the hrazine was a dangerous chemical. There are reports, and I have one, that will testing it the hrazine reacted with some organic material inthe ground and it went low order.

I was lucky enough one time to destroy a set of it, was not empressed

Thanks Mike. I just thought it was amusing to see what kind of job it could be used by the Army. I was saw a video of it being used in action (probably in the most ideal settings). It mad a foxhole so to speak. SOG had use of it for quick ambushes on the NVA in order to take prisoners or slow the NVA down a little. Sounds to me like a BC story to me! Plus I cannot find any SOG member yet that has heard of it.

oh no it was used in Vietnam, was tested about a number of SF, SOG and general infantry troop. Just wouldn't do the same job as TNT or C4, it could make fox holes (some waht) but you stuill had to dig dig dig for a good one.

I have report or two of the tests by some SF guys.

My opinion, the hydrazine was the killing factor, since it is no longer used by any binary explosives (same thing as liquid explosives when 2 are mixed together)

let me look it up, I was looking for the SF report about Astrolite too forgot it was in my 308 special devices file. Just need to convet them to jpg so can post

SF Use of 308 devices_Page_1.jpgSF Use of 308 devices_Page_2.jpg here is the SF report, looking for one other and am in my accident report files now - gota find a better way to index and find my docs, but I got over 325 gig of files here

Just thought of another reason this might not have worked well as a quick-to-set-up land mine. Pour it into the dirt- it's going to evaporate a bit. Hydrazine smells like ammonia- anyone walking up to a patch of soil soaked with it, may not know it's a mine, but they will know it's probably not healthy, and go around it.