What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 82 Mk I gammon

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. I've just picked up a No 82 Mk I gammon. It's very nice and all original as far as I can tell. It is missing the washer that goes under the always fuze. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same as the ones used on the No69, so if you have a broken No69, and can spare the washer, please PM me.

The fuze cap on this one is not painted red either, but does look original to the grenade (adhesive tape lines up). Were all of the modified always fuzes used with gammons painted red? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Colin,
i have a Washer and a Cap painted red for you, i met a Guy who cleared the ranges that were used for the run up to market garden, he sold me all the gammon caps he found, you might notice with the fuse you have there should be only a couple of threads that the cap screws onto this was for quick release, on some examples there is also a small red dot painted on the fuse pellet retaining screw, has your example got the single point striker, i love Gammons, unfortunately all my examples were badly treated by the Royal Logistics corp for some reason. Dave

HPIM5662.jpg

[...]
The fuze cap on this one is not painted red either, but does look original to the grenade (adhesive tape lines up). Were all of the modified always fuzes used with gammons painted red? Cheers

Some were issued with 247 fuzes with an 11.5-inch tape due to shortages of the 4.5-inch tape, these fuzes were unpainted. Later, for safety reasons, all No 82s had the longer tape (and the plain fuze). There was no change of nomenclature to indicated the longer arming time. The 'stroke 1' of the No 82 Mark 1/1 is to do with rot-proofing the cloth bag. A Mark 2 was designed by the SOE technical people but it was not manufactured.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info and offer. Dave there's a PM on it's way. The gammon is an interesting one. The lid tape has been in place for a long time, so if not original to the grenade it was added a long time ago. There is no sign of the cap ever having been painted red and no red dot on the inner fuze holder. The tape is the shortened one and has the same date on it as the grenade body itself. Cheers

Attachments

• 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 141
Hi, A couple of replacement parts (thanks Dave) and it's one fine looking Gammon.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Cheers

Attachments

• British N0 82 Gammon 4 BOCN.jpg
    British N0 82 Gammon 4 BOCN.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Photo gammon with its detonator box. The ribbon around the box is specific for packaging and dropsfrom a drop in the French Resistance.
Barnabé

DSC05138.jpg gamm SOE.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
A presentation of my box of Gammon n°82 MK I / I.
According to the documentation of January 1945 the model 82 MK I becomes 82 MK I / I because the skirt becomes waterproof. On the case the / I was hand painted as a result of No. 82 MKI. The box was packed on 1/45, the box is stamped on the cover G.70 C & M.L 1944.
Does anyone have any documentation regarding the storage of gammon boxes and primers and det. in the G.70 box? and perhaps a photo or sketch of a n° 82 MK I / I

Philippe

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 35
  • dos.jpg
    dos.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 29
  • coté.jpg
    coté.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 25
  • conditionnement.jpg