Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

No 82 Mk I gammon

Hi. I've just picked up a No 82 Mk I gammon. It's very nice and all original as far as I can tell. It is missing the washer that goes under the always fuze. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same as the ones used on the No69, so if you have a broken No69, and can spare the washer, please PM me.

The fuze cap on this one is not painted red either, but does look original to the grenade (adhesive tape lines up). Were all of the modified always fuzes used with gammons painted red? Cheers
    Last edited by spotter; 9th July 2015 at 11:13 AM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Colin,
    i have a Washer and a Cap painted red for you, i met a Guy who cleared the ranges that were used for the run up to market garden, he sold me all the gammon caps he found, you might notice with the fuse you have there should be only a couple of threads that the cap screws onto this was for quick release, on some examples there is also a small red dot painted on the fuse pellet retaining screw, has your example got the single point striker, i love Gammons, unfortunately all my examples were badly treated by the Royal Logistics corp for some reason. Dave

HPIM5662.jpg

Premium/Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    [...]
    The fuze cap on this one is not painted red either, but does look original to the grenade (adhesive tape lines up). Were all of the modified always fuzes used with gammons painted red? Cheers
    Some were issued with 247 fuzes with an 11.5-inch tape due to shortages of the 4.5-inch tape, these fuzes were unpainted. Later, for safety reasons, all No 82s had the longer tape (and the plain fuze). There was no change of nomenclature to indicated the longer arming time. The 'stroke 1' of the No 82 Mark 1/1 is to do with rot-proofing the cloth bag. A Mark 2 was designed by the SOE technical people but it was not manufactured.
    N.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnex For This Useful Post:

Fragman (1st February 2014)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info and offer. Dave there's a PM on it's way. The gammon is an interesting one. The lid tape has been in place for a long time, so if not original to the grenade it was added a long time ago. There is no sign of the cap ever having been painted red and no red dot on the inner fuze holder. The tape is the shortened one and has the same date on it as the grenade body itself. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Hi, A couple of replacement parts (thanks Dave) and it's one fine looking Gammon. Cheers
    Last edited by Fragman; 9th April 2011 at 09:23 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fragman For This Useful Post:

Sir Roger (6th September 2015)

Thanks
    Photo gammon with its detonator box. The ribbon around the box is specific for packaging and dropsfrom a drop in the French Resistance.
    Barnabé

DSC05138.jpg gamm SOE.jpg
    Last edited by Barnabé; 9th July 2015 at 08:05 AM.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Barnabé For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (9th July 2015), Bonnex (9th July 2015), Fragman (9th July 2015), millsbomber (9th July 2015), MissingSomething (9th July 2015), roller63 (9th July 2015), sgtlynn (9th July 2015), Sir Roger (6th September 2015), Spgr30 (9th July 2015), TimG (9th July 2015)

Thanks
    Hello,
    A presentation of my box of Gammon n°82 MK I / I.
    According to the documentation of January 1945 the model 82 MK I becomes 82 MK I / I because the skirt becomes waterproof. On the case the / I was hand painted as a result of No. 82 MKI. The box was packed on 1/45, the box is stamped on the cover G.70 C & M.L 1944.
    Does anyone have any documentation regarding the storage of gammon boxes and primers and det. in the G.70 box? and perhaps a photo or sketch of a n° 82 MK I / I

Philippe

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Barnabé For This Useful Post:

AE501 (12th October 2017), Big Dave (11th October 2017), Fragman (12th October 2017), millsbomber (11th October 2017), roller63 (11th October 2017), Sir Roger (Yesterday), switch (11th October 2017)