What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII shell casing ashtray with Nazi symbols

busboyblues

Hi, I recently inherited this item from my Uncle who served with the US army in Europe during WWII. The shell is inscribed on the bottom as follows: top center - 25 PR. left side- LOT 242, right center - RM/C, bottom center - 1941. When my aunt first gave it to me, I had no idea what it even was, but suspected it was an ashtray. After doing some searching online, I found that it was a shell casing ashtray. I would love to know moreabout the origins of it, the shell's country of origin, whether it was made by the allies or the Germans, etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

shell two.jpgshell one.jpgshell 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

25pdr is a British (Allies) gun and has the distinct Broad-Arrow "^".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_25_pounder

The manufacturer's markings (RM/C) could be "Ronden Manufacturing Company", but not 100% sure.

Who made it? From past Trench Art examples I have seen, the "trend" was normally to "trench art" the enemies shell cases etc for war trophies. With the Nazis symbols etc, would imply German made.

Cheers
Drew

Nazi symbols would also indicate a Afrika Korps connection,and the projectile in the centre looks like a German 151/20???

Tony

Hi Busboyblues,
Looking at it i would say a very well made piece, more than likely from the North Africa campaign from the look of the palm tree and madfe from a British 25pr case as already pointed out. The projectile in the middle looks like a German 2cm AP, i am sure there is quite a bit of history with this.
Best regards Weasel.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I made the possible mistake of cleaning it up a bit with polish, then later read maybe you should leave them as is. I suspected there may have been a connection to the African campaign due to the designs. It does seem incredibly well crafted. I appreciate your help!

Hey busboyblues, That has to be the most beautiful and articulate pieces of trench art I have seen. Just a fine piece...........Dano

That's one of the things that I always liked about the Africacorps, was the palm tree in their markings. I agree with Dano, that this is probably the best trench art I've seen.

Thank you for your replies. As I continue to go through my Uncle's war things, I am simply blown away by the historical weight these things carry. It almost feels like I'm holding a living organism when I hold them. Makes me miss my uncle and wonder what his thoughts and feelings were during this time.

Well, hopefully your Uncle would actually tell you about things. My Uncle was a B-24 pilot and they had some type of radar unit in their plane and they were flying around the Japan area during the war. He wouldn't talk about what he did. I don't know if it had anything to do with the atomic bombing or not.

Unfortunately, he passed way back in 1991. I didn't even know about these things until my Aunt just passed, and we've been cleaning out their place. When I was little he gave me a bunch of American surplus, like a helmet, bullet belt, canteen, which I loved to play with, and a medal or two. I still have some of that stuff around too.

Again, absolutely the most beautiful piece of trench art i've yet to encounter. The finish work and artistic aptitude is by far the best i've seen. An egay no no with the swastica and all but a true work of art. Someone made this as a labour of love. I do not understand the rbay ban on swasricas as if we forget history we may be doomed to repeat it. AWESOMEoso

Vey nice piece of Trench Art. Most North African trench art was made by locals from the brass littering the desert. They made mainly beer mugs annd ashtrays, but not like your one. I'd say its German made, a nice quality piece and possibly unique.

John

Hey SMLE2009,

You could very well be right on the German two cm AP in the centre; however it just as well could be an AP for 2 cm Flak (30/38). Reason for saying this: although I know 151/20 and MGFF projectiles were produced with copper drivingbands, I've yet to see one "in the flesh", Flak projectiles sporting copper drivingbands are far more common (iff not thick on the ground either).

greetz,

Menno.

Hi Menno,
very good point mate,and Flak(AA) would tie in better than Aircraft rounds with the Afrika Korps also.

Cheers
Tony

Hey Tony,

In this case (no pun intended.......I think :tinysmile_twink_t2: ) it is actually quite hard to tell exactly what type it is, as the main distinguishing feature, the base/foot of the AP projectile looks to have been reworked (or is hidden in the 25 pdr's primer aperture).

The 151/20 Projo features a foot wit a narrow crimp and rim (for lack of a better description), while the Flak may have eiter a crimped semi-boattail or a straight foot.

Iff this would prove to be an 151/20 or MGFF indeed, it would be the first time I'd have laid my eyes on an AP one with a copper DB.

greetz,

Menno.

Last edited: