What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 199 British Projectile fuzes

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question on these fuzes ... I have a document that tells me the difference between the MK 1, 2, and 3 ... I have a MK 4 and am working on a EOD p[ublication on these. What is the difference with the MK 4 version.

Also can people post pictures of the MK 1, 2, and 3 versions for a publication?

I am also looking for the dimentions of the fuzes. Diameter, total length and exposed length, and is there a difference between the 4 versions?

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe,

The Textbook of Ammunition 1936 gives an explanation of the differences among the MK 1, 2 and 3.
Hope this can help you.

Stef

Stef,

I have the differences between them, I was wondering what is different with the 4? All I have on the 4 is a picture of it.

Joe

Bloome,

Thanks ... thats what we have pictures of too ... could you give me the measurements off yours? Somehow we didn't get the measurements off the fuze when we had the chance.

Thanks,

Joe

Isn't the no221 similar to the 199? Because I do have a 221 in my collection ready to be measured if need be!

The Mark III fuze differs from the Mark IV in the top ring having no retaining, or postioning slot.

Source: Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 3.7-Inch, Marks I, II and III. 1939.

The Mark 5 fuze differs from the Mark 4 by having a body made of steel instead of metal.
The Mark 6 fuze differs from the Mark 4 in having a stepped shoulder.
The Mark 7 differs from the Mark 4 by having a stepped shoulder and a steel body.
The Mark 8 differs from the Mark 4 principally in having the body, cap and base plug made of zinc alloy.
The Mark 9 is generally similar to the mark 8, differing principally in having a brass body with stepped shoulder and circular escape holes.

Source: Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 3.7-Inch, Marks 1, 2 and 3. 1945.

Quatermass,

Do you have a scanned version of this manual you can post?

Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 3.7-Inch, Marks 1, 2 and 3. 1945.

I would be interested in reading it.

Joe