What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Illumination round (?) fuze ID

timefuze

Hi guys,

I have what I think is a 105mm illumination or smoke round in my collection and wonder what fuze is and if this is a WWII era thing or from later than 1945. The fuze looks like a US M43 mechanical time fuze (dimension and material) but seems to have a SQ-function in the nose cone... The markings on the lower ring are too corroded and small to read. See pictures. Is it a WWII M43 in a US shell or is it something else?
(The round is complete empty inside and houses some spiders now.)

Thanks in advance for the ID and dating of this piece,

Regards,DSCN5774.jpgDSCN5773.jpg

timefuzeDSCN5772.jpgDSCN5775.jpg

P1010001.JPGP1010002.jpg

Hello timefuze,

You have either a U.S. M500 MT/SQ or M501 MT/SQ fuze. The only difference between the two was that the M500 has a booster attached while the M501 had no booster. These fuzes are post WWII.

Best regards,

Randall

Very nice Rick. Since I am not privi to these types of projectiles (I am assuming that they are and projectiles), I'would like to know what they are?