What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Vietnam Ordnance Thread-antipersonnel

D

Dragontooth

Dear BOCN members,

Vietnam war is a major interest of mine. Besides my pops losing some friends over there, it was a unique moment in military history since the war in SEA lead to the IMHO largest selection of munitions in the 20th century...except for maybe WW II.

I would like to invite you to join the discussion and help me compile a list of ordnance used in the SEA war which was primarily antipersonnel-this includes WP, mines, flechettes, BLUs, GP bombs, rockets, arty, napalm, FAEs and anything nice we can think of.
Let us exclude bullets since that would be too boring. I know it is gonna be a big list but I could use any help or assistance. Please add brief tech. description and official type specification, e.g. BLU-43/B , etc.

Thank you in advance. And pics would be great too.
Best,
Dave

PS I put this here since i thought the BLUs would be the largest part of the list...

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh, feels odd to answer to my own thread, so I will start.

M-14 nonmetallic antipersonnel mine
M-16 bounding antipersonnel mine

C'mon folks, is my thread THAT boring ;-)

Personally I think it'll be great thread epsecially once the guys start posting photos of VN era munitions in their collections.
I suppose I better start getting some pictures together as this IS one of my favorite subjects.
Don't worry Drago, we're coming!
bud.gif

Personally I think it'll be great thread epsecially once the guys start posting photos of VN era munitions in their collections.
I suppose I better start getting some pictures together as this IS one of my favorite subjects.
Don't worry Drago, we're coming!
bud.gif

Right on, Jolly Green.
Send in the cavalry. :-D

MK 118 Rockeye
BLU-32 firebomb

i feel like i am talking to myself here ^^

1. I believe you asked for too much. It seems like an undertaking that is too large for people. Never ask for too much.
2. The stuff you asked for falls under different catagories on BOCN, like submunitions, bombs, rockets, mines, etc.

1. I believe you asked for too much. It seems like an undertaking that is too large for people. Never ask for too much.
2. The stuff you asked for falls under different catagories on BOCN, like submunitions, bombs, rockets, mines, etc.

Jeez, well, sorry...
Can we at least do the submunitions here then?
dave

well, if it is too large for people, then maybe together we can give it a try.

Ok here is my input. I know these were used in Vietnam........

U.S. M83 4lb cluster bomb (butterfly bomb)

regards Kev

Dave,

You might want to delete a few emails in your inbox if you want to receive any more.

First picture, L-R, M43 for 155mm, M43 on side, M36 for 4.2-inch mortar, kill ball for M43. Second picture, experimental M39 variant, M39 for 105mm. Third picture, T57 grenade (experimental variant of M43), M35 for 105mm. Third photo, two BLU-39 CS (Air Force), two XM16 CS (Army), two E49- developmental pieces. Fourth picture, ADAM M72 dummy blocks for testing dispersion, two ADAM M72 test munitions.
Last picture is a number of BLU examples, 3 BLU-3's, a BLU-15, two BDU-28s with different model wind tabs, another BLU-3, a BLU-16 burning smoke, a BLU-15 WP smoke, BLU-4, a BLU-4 developmental piece, a BDU model of the BLU-4, three variants of the BLU-18 and its BDU, then on the next row the BLU-24 C/B, a BLU-24B/B, a BLU66A/B, a partial body, three early BLU-24/B's, A BLU-66/B practice model and a BLU-26/B. On the last shelf is a BLU-61, a 61 half shell, three developmental unknowns, a BDU for the BLU-26 (BLU-26(T-1)/B), a BLU-26, a BLU-42, it's BDU, a special training piece for use with MILES, a BLU-63 and a BDU-42.
I've got more VN era pieces, but no time at the moment. SLICS is coming and it's time to load out.

excellent, Jeff.
thank you so much. have a safe journey and a great time at SLICS.
dave

keep em coming folks !

*** M 58 Impact - M 79 round ************ M202A1 4 rocket launcher

58033.jpg
54698.jpg

Attachments

• pix777022363.jpg
    pix777022363.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hello Jeff / US Subs,

Can you ID the item in the attached photos? I see that you have somewhat similar item(s) shown in one of the photos in your above post.

Thanks,

Frank

UNK 002.jpgUNK 001.jpg

Frank,
I ID'd them a few posts further on. They are one of the following - Third photo, two BLU-39 CS (Air Force), two XM16 CS (Army), two E49- developmental pieces. There is pretty much no difference in the items, the different designations were made for either AF (BLU's) or Army - XM numbers. E numbers were used while going through R&D. Same munition was used for each designation. There was a third designation, off the tope of my head I think it was the BLU-50, which was BZ filled, but that was not a Viet Nam piece. Without any external markings I know of no way to tell the difference between models.