What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the difference between V40 & V41 Dutch grenade?

John77

I bought recently a V41 practice (atleast thats what they told me). But how can you tell the difference between the V40 practice and V41 practice? Mine is unmarked, so thats why i cant tell.

I hope some1 can tell me how i can see this difference. Thanks.

Attachments

• V41voorzijde.jpg
    V41voorzijde.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 39
  • V41 zijkant rechts.jpg
    V41 zijkant rechts.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 40
  • V41 liggend.jpg
    V41 liggend.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
  • V41 ringzijde.jpg
    V41 ringzijde.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 29
  • V41 achterzijde.jpg
    V41 achterzijde.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi Ben,

I'm confused. Even on your own site is a V40 practice for sale :dontknow::dontknow:

Also a blue version like the V41 practice.

They changed the nomenclature at some time during production. You can find the practice as both V40, Inert and as V41, Practice. While there are some exceptions you most often see the V40 Inert version painted on the side and the V41 painted on the bottom. Both are normally inert fill though I've seen some empty.

Thanks. Seems logical(changed nomenclature) because i donty see any differences on the outside on these grenades.

There is an external difference. If you look at the V40 you can see the inpressions of the frag martix on the outside where as the V41 has a smooth outer body which suggests to me the bodys have no frag matrix on the inside and are specifically made as drill grenades.
Cheers, Paul.

Paul,
with all due respect, that has not been my experience. The only body that I have which appears to have no matrix is marked V40. All of my V41s show the heavy frag pattern (first photo). I have some additional pieces (second & third photos) with the alternate matrix's, which are much lighter and do not generally show through the body. There are enough variations around that I am not sure they standardized the practice body.

DSCN2127.jpg DSCN2122.jpg DSCN2124.jpg

My V40 is painted OD with the yellow writing on the bottom and it has the same bottom as your first picture. Something wrong with mine?

I read somewhere about a A2 version of V40; is it possible the one with the lighter matrix? And it is possible the V40 Inert is related at the A1 version and the V41 at the V2 version?

I've never seen anything from NWM about an A2, there seems to be more theories than hard information. The frag variations came from a former engineer at NWM, he took a stack of pieces home with him when the factory closed and eventually sold them to a friend of mine. I've got a number of the factory flyers on the grenade and the rifle grenade adapter, never seen anything on an A2. There were also a number of empty bodies that people were repainting as HE, this has further muddied the waters and confused some people over the actual items vs "refurbished/fakes".