What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 10kg bomb fuze

I'm not 100% sure if there was a 10kg one, the 12kg may be the smallest(?) as the next size up was 50kg.

of the P. u. W. Type it was the smallest. With 10 kg there were only the primitive "drop-shaped" Carbonit bombs.

Richard,

Looking into this further, it does appear that a 10kg older style bomb was still used as an anti-ship bomb:

Here's an extract and photo from a thread on the discussion on the typical bomb configuration:

Another shot form Imrie's book, it shows an LVG B.I with 10 kg Carbonit bombs hung from the fuselage. I was starting to wonder if this configuration was even do-able on a tail dragger; yet here it is. My references state that the 10 kg Cabonit had a max length of 545 mm and a max diameter of 174 mm. Not so big after all . . .

So, our speculative choices are:

1. Six 12.5 kg PuW bombs, rack mounted under the fuselage and possibly extending onto the wings. This implies that every account where the bomb size is mentioned got it wrong -- mistaking the 12.5 kg PuWs for 10 kg. Imrie says the PuWs came available in July of 1916; the raid was in mid-November. Is it really possible that several months pass and people still don't know the size of the bombs they're using? Also, it would be good to see some evidence of six 12.5 kg PuWs hung beneath anything, just to see the rack configuration used.

2. Six 10 kg Carbonit bombs hung by their tails from the fuselage. We know the MFAs had access to the 10 kg Carbonit because there are pictures of floatplanes rigged with them for anti-ship duty. And accounts of the London raid that refer to the bomb size always state it as 10 kg.

Sorry I guess it still doesn't answer your original request for the fuse drawing......

***Thanks Stefan for the earlier clarification!***

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Carbonit_LVG.jpg
    Carbonit_LVG.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the information Drew,
Harrys drawing from 2010 post is a great help. I am currently taking one in my collection apart.
Richard

Hello:
I think that Richard refers to fuse of Carbonit bomb 10 kg.
Photo and diagram of this fuse.

Esp a1-1.jpgEsp a1-3.jpgEsp a1-2.jpgcarbonit 10-4.jpg

Regards