What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm ww1 Rounds some help with identity please

Dave83

I have this rounds of 37mm
I need some help to identify this rounds for what kind of gun they are used .

I m not sure the projektiles and the cases are right in this way ,the round in the center in the third pic could be a frence one with a wrong german case but i am not realy sure about it .

Thanks in advance

wbr David

Attachments

• P1010171.jpg
    P1010171.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 101
  • P1010170.jpg
    P1010170.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010169.jpg
    P1010169.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 113
Hi David,
from your first pictures;
a German (marine) 37 mm round for the Revolverkanone M14,
second one also German round for the Sockelflak,
third one is French, I don't know which type..
just search the forum for '37 mm', I'm sure you'll find a lot of results!
Certain members collect these heads, for instance Gspragge or Hoeksel, they are real encyclopeadias on this matter!
Other members, like me, only collect certain 37 mm's ...

regards,
Wouter

David, In addition to Wouters comments, if you go to the Projectiles Forum here on BOCN, one of the stickies is on 37mm rounds and has a lot of pictures and descriptions thanks to GSpragge. It is posted by SPOTTER and I think it is one of the first two. Cheers, Bruce.

Hello

The third (from the two first pictures) is the 37mm model 1916

DSCF5548.JPGmanuel des munitions.jpg.DSCF5547.JPG
pencil.png

sockelflak 006.jpgsockelflak 004.jpgsockelflak 002.jpgsockelflak 001.jpgInstead of starting a new post, is it prefered to add this to an existing one ? Anyways. I recently picked up these 37mm rounds. One is French PDPs casing, the other a German case. Both projectiles are identical in shape and form and look to be sockelflak projectiles. One projo is marked sp181 I think (hard to see) and goes along with the German case. The other projectile which came in the French casing is marked on top but extremely hard to make out but looks to have a square shape with maybe a "V" within and also an oval shaped marking next to it. My question would be, is this a sockelflak which has been put together with a French case ? Also would like to hear any guesses on what the markings may be on this one. Thanks.

Hi SHAKY!
Thanks for your additions, you think correct,
both are german Sockelflak rounds.. The french shell will be added afterwards just to make a complete round I guess...
you're not mistaken with 'sp181', I have the same Spandau inspectionstamp on some of my sockelflaks... The marking on the top,
I do have some who have a circle marking with a capital lettre 'M' on it... Can you make a photo of the marking please?

sockelflak.jpgThanks for confirming my suspicions Nolfster. The best I could do for an image of the markings on the top is this scan. I doubt its very helpfull though as the markings are so light. You can maybe only just make out the oval on the right hand side. Oh well.

Last edited:
markings on the tops of these seem to be in various forms,maybe inspector marks, maybe maker ID marks? A bit of a mystery and not always very clear.