What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damascus trench art

zephyr4

This was probably used for a tobacco jar it has silver and copper inlay.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
Very nice, it puts trench art into a different class.

Here is a similarly made piece of Trench art.

This belonged to one of the teachers when I did my engineering apprenticeship. He said he bought it in Damascus on Christmas day in 1993 when he was working there for an oil company.

The case is for a Russian 130mm M-46 field gun. This one was made in the 1970s.

syrian_shell.jpg

Very nice, I have five German shells very silmalar. It is likely it was made at the school below. Information from the Jane Kimball's book, Trench Art, An Illistrated History.
Bezalel School of arts and crafts
The Bezalel School of arts and crafts was founded in 1906 in Jerusalem by Boris Schatz, a Jewish artist from Latvia, to encourage the creation of an original style of art by local craftsman using Jewish motifs based on Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts traditions. The school was shut down in 1915 by the Turks (allied with Imperial Germany) but reopened after the war. Shell casings were decorated by students there through the ‘20’s. The decorations included traditional Jewish symbols and images, Biblical themes and buildings and views of the Holy Land. Some were acid-etched, and others had inlaid silver and copper designs. Many included inscriptions in Hebrew.
BKW