What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Defa driving bands

Falcon

I hae a couple of 30mm Defa projectiles. One has a steel band and is dated 1972. I have another one with a copper band that is unpainted. Is the copper banded one older or newer than the steel banded one?

Thanks for any info.

Falcon, this will depend on the manufacturer (and country). Can you tell us the markings on the projectiles or show images?

Falcon,
pictures may indeed give the answer to the question. Steel may indicate DEFA and copper ADEN, but when you have pictures it could be told for sure.

Regards, Cornman

I believed that they were both Defa because the one with the steel band is painted blue and marked "30-550-DEFA-210-F INERTE 149 A.T.E 72". The one with the copper band has an identical aluminium dummy fuze with the shallow hole in one side. If it helps, the copper band has a groove cut in it.

Just trolling through some older posts.
I believe the DEFA projectiles have both copper and steel (iron) bands, the latter for decoppering the barrels, ie 2 iron bands per 30 round belt of ammo.

cheers
Bob