What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PTAB 2,5M sub-munition

groves207

Does anyone have any info on this type of sub-munition. Like how it is fuzed and method of fuctioning. Have trawled through Google and have some info but nothing other than basic details. Any help would be appreciated.:tinysmile_angry_t:

Ptab 2,5 m

Hello Groves207,

here what I have, it's sure not complete but it is something !

PTAB 2,5 M is launched from RBK 250 or RBK 500,
It's a ATk submunition working with hollow charge.
His fuze is AV 524 M who's working on the same principles as German WW II ElAZ 66 (SD4HL).

Yoda

Attachments

• CEI PTAB 2.5M-01.jpg
    CEI PTAB 2.5M-01.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 170
what the heck does PTAB mean?
is that a Belgian Malinois? great dogs want one for my house.

what the heck does PTAB mean?
is that a Belgian Malinois? great dogs want one for my house.

I don't find the exact translation of PTAB, P ? T ? Avia Bomba (Aircraft Bomb HEAT, ATk)

And no, it's not a belgian malinois, it's a german shepperd, four years old ! If you want one, I have a very good adress in Belgium, send me a PM !

Yoda

PTAB stands for Protivo Tankovaya Avia Bomba, that's Anti-Tank Air Bomb.

Regards
stecol

The PTAB 2.5M is a progressive devolopment of the 25 the "M" indicates modernisation. The munition uses a mode efficiant cone and explosive layout and a mechanically armed piszo electric fuse the AV-52M.
The fuse has a clutch retained impella which screws foward in flight until de-clutched. On impact the armour the alumiminium impella shoud breaks, whilst impact with the ground forces the earth into the shoud. In either case the freed impella shaft is driven back into the fuse generating a current to intiate the "spit-back" detonator.

limited frag
length 406mm
dia 91mm
weight 2.5kg
explosive 1 kg (RDX)

I don't find the exact translation of PTAB, P ? T ? Avia Bomba (Aircraft Bomb HEAT, ATk)

And no, it's not a belgian malinois, it's a german shepperd, four years old ! If you want one, I have a very good adress in Belgium, send me a PM !

Yoda

thanks Yoda but the wife disagrees. for home defense ive got a Win. Defender with 00 buckshot.

There seems to be different information from different sources about this - some guides say a Piezo, others that the AV 524M fuze is copy of German elAZ 66, with a magnet moving through a coil after impact. I believe US military EOD pubs indicate the latter. Grateful if anybody on the forum can clarify. Cheers.