What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Ex" marking

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hello everybody,

I have see on an other ammunition site the picture of a "Ex EKZ 11 Gr". I am looking on the signification of this "Ex". I found somewhere that it will say "Exerciser". It should be a munition used for manipulation and not for training shot as a "bung".

What is the exact difference between the two designation ?:eek:oh:

When was this designation used because I don't remember to have see a WW 2 ammunition as "Ex".:nerd:

I can't post the picture actually, sorry. The man who posted the pic wrote that he have also an Ex HZ 05.

Yoda:hmmmm2:

Hi Yoda,
I'm not sure about fuzes but in German SAA Ex is Exerzier, meaning a drill or dummy round.

Tony

Thanks for your answer Tony,

It's in this direction that I'm thinking. I would have a confirmation to known if I think good !

Yoda

well, you're absolutely on the right track, Yoda.

EX = Exerzier means handling and drill only, B = bung a more extended practice with certain pyrotechnic effects (a little bang and/or smoke).

these, for example, are the German WWII 200gr.charges EX & B, the differences are clearly visible.

200gr.Ex&Üb .jpg 200gr.Ex&Üb.jpg

certainly there have been many more B- than EX-devices, because one can always make an EX with an B, but never an B with an EX. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Exactly as Sudelmuk says, but in addition in artillery ammo also existed marking Bl = blind. This normally was an ordinary HE-shell but filled totally inert for training shooting. Does anyone know if still more different markings existed?

Does anyone know if still more different markings existed?

on WW2 ammunition much more common than the Bl marking are three arrows stamped around the shell body, meaning is exactly the same as for "Bl" = Inert filler or no filler.

Waow, thanks to all.

I'm happy to known that I was not completely in error.

Yoda