What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange

2pounder

Premium Member
not into trench art but always look and this caught my eye as curious, engraving is a bit crude but only on one side so it will sit on a shelf and not show. Its a Roth case of 1914 it is a 47 x 383R which I didn't have but engraved 1919 so it had hung around a bit, (do engraved cases normally have a date nearer the last date engraved?) and why 1919?. FIUME is a town name but what is ORIENT? and the I is curious in that the word is in capitals but the I has a dot over it.

Attachments

• R0010870.JPG
    R0010870.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 43
  • R0010871.JPG
    R0010871.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 50
  • R0010872.JPG
    R0010872.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 47
  • R0010873.JPG
    R0010873.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 75
Orient could mean somewhere in the world (most likely Asia), where the French had many colonies.

I have seen a lot of 'trench art' with the dates 1914-1919, I don't think 1919 would be too unusual as the war ended in November 1918. I think a lot of trench art was produced after the war as souvenirs for soldiers to bring home, or even for people visiting battlefields into the 1920's. A lot of people visited battlefields in the post war years to see where loved ones had fought and often died. There must have been tons of surplus brass cases, driving bands and all manor of other items to make into various things. The quality would depend on the person making it.

It certainly shows that it is always worthwhile turning cases over, looks as though it has paid off in your case, well done.

kind regards Kev

I seem to remember reading somewhere that WW1 didn't officialy end until 1919 due Britian's involvement in the conflict between " white and red Russia"
Also many POW's were not released until well after 1918 so could have been made by POW's

Cheers
Tony

Correct, there was plenty of military action in 1919 by many more countries than most would think. Including one which just was created= Poland.

Orient today designates the regions east of the mediterranian sea, prior to this it also included the regions up to India.

Nice piece EOD I have this one marked Orient, can anyone id the case.

Attachments

• or2.jpg
    or2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • or.jpg
    or.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 42
I seem to remember reading somewhere that WW1 didn't officialy end until 1919 due Britian's involvement in the conflict between " white and red Russia"
Also many POW's were not released until well after 1918 so could have been made by POW's

Cheers
Tony

Versailles was only signed in 1919 and Serves (with the Ottomans) in 1920.