What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Early WWI German Large Head Stick Grenades

frizzen

046.jpg045.jpg044.jpg043.jpg042.jpg041.jpg040.jpg039.jpgAll of these are original finish and markings. There were some threads the last couple of years about the color of WWI German Field Grey. This gives a good example of the variety of colors used.

Outstanding!
What is the one on the right - is it a trials version?
Dave.

The one on the right is an artisan mfg grenade I think. I've seen a line drawing of one very close to this in an early manual. Very simple construction, basically just an open ended can nailed to a wooden disc with a handle and a standard detonator. Don't know much else about it, perhaps some of the other collectors will have more information. ......

Its a very rare model that ive only seen in diagrams. It should have a smaller inner container for the explosive and the gap between the small and large outer tin would have been filled with some sort of shrapnel.
thanks for posting the pics.:tinysmile_grin_t:
paul.

It may have once had an inner container but that is missing now. I carefully removed the nails many years ago to see what it looked like inside. The fact that this one appears in manuals indicates that it may have been a manufactured model instead of the artisan types made by the french (little more than pipe grenades) Thank you Mr. The Grenade......

Here are some large can stick grenades that I have in my collection. The first one has the nicest stenciling. These are very hard to find.

Large Can 2.jpgLarge Can 1.jpgSpaeter 6.jpgSpaeter 9.jpgn 1.jpgn 2.jpg

Frizzen,
The second grenade looks similar to a WWII stick grenade. I have never seen one like that before. Does that one have a belt hook?

Yes, the second stick grenade has the belt hook. It is Mfg. just like the model 1917 except of course larger. It is the only one like it I have ever seen. Inside the can is a wood spacer app 25mm thick. Probably this was the last of the large can designs before scaling down to the 1917 version.

Yes, the second stick grenade has the belt hook. It is Mfg. just like the model 1917 except of course larger. It is the only one like it I have ever seen. Inside the can is a wood spacer app 25mm thick. Probably this was the last of the large can designs before scaling down to the 1917 version.
I think I remember reading somewhere that some of the large can grenades were retrofitted with the wood block as a spacer when the more powerful and therefore smaller charge explosive used in the 1917 version came out. I am doing a mind blank rightnow on the explosive names

I think I remember reading somewhere that some of the large can grenades were retrofitted with the wood block as a spacer when the more powerful and therefore smaller charge explosive used in the 1917 version came out. I am doing a mind blank rightnow on the explosive names

Yeeeaarrrhgggghhhhh .how did id mis this thread.. fantastic stick grens chaps.. very impresive indeed, well done.

and yes they were fitted with a wooden spacer as the filler got better,, more so on the M1916 version.

regards nick