What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTK Correct fuze for a US 155mm M485 Illumination shell

Looks like I dont have one of these. So does anyone have a MT, M565 series fuze to fit 155mm Projectile they wish to sell ??????????

Thanks
stuart

At last i have brought a M565 recently, but still looking for more, can anyone help or surgest where i can get them from or anything else US 155mm Howitzer related ???

Thanks

Ricks resin fuzes came today and there great, thanks to Rick for the quick deal, all I got to do now is find a few more 155mm M485 Illumination rounds.

Just out of curiosity Cannoncocker, why do the illumination projectiles have such an attraction? I worked at the factory where a number of the projectile bodies were manufactured over the years. They are made from very good 4140 tool steel, which is also used for rifle receivers and a number of other guns and weapons.

Did you have the opportunity to fire the Illums in the past?

Hi Hazord
Thanks for the interest, the main reason why I'm interested in illumination projectiles is because I own and display my M1 A1 155mm Howitzer at shows for Veterans from WW2, Korea and Vietnam as well as the public. I have alot of items such as fuzes and all things artillery including HE rounds but I only have 1 illumination round and I would like to get a few more to add to the display.

I would love to but fire something big like this but I'm just a collector :)

Thanks again

I think it is great that you have a Howitzer. This past Fall I met a gentleman who owns a live 8 inch howitzer. He assembled parts from a carriage and a breach ring and barrel, and then had the recoil mechanism charged with nitrogen so he could use it. He bought 65 inert/empty M106 HE projectiles and 1000 pounds of powder, so he can shoot it. I'm hoping to be able to visit when they have a shoot sometime this Summer or Fall.

Actually, he fiires the M106 bodies empty with a dummy fuze. It is the reassembled gun that would cause me to watch from a distance.

I hope to fire blanks from it for the vets and the public at shows just to bring the display a live and give the public a better understanding of what it was like being a cannoncocker. It gets a lot of interest here in the UK being the only one that goes around the shows (only two in the UK). If anyone has anything that would be of interest to me please let me know

Thank you in advance

I think it is great that you have a Howitzer. This past Fall I met a gentleman who owns a live 8 inch howitzer. He assembled parts from a carriage and a breach ring and barrel, and then had the recoil mechanism charged with nitrogen so he could use it. He bought 65 inert/empty M106 HE projectiles and 1000 pounds of powder, so he can shoot it. I'm hoping to be able to visit when they have a shoot sometime this Summer or Fall.