What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model 1961 French/Swiss?

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Anyone got an ID or a photo of a full up on this one? I haven't dug too deeply yet, but it doesn't ring any bells. If someone knows it off the top of their head it could save me some research. Thanks -

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg
pencil.png

If no one has info can I at least get a get a translation?

Never seen it, and we don't have one in our database. I can say doing a quick online transation (in French) that it is for testing. essais d'entrainement translate to test drive. Maquette being model.

Interesting piece.

Joe

One of our native French members would be better at this. I have translated a few of the words:
Maquette = `Dummy' or `model'. I couldn't find a translation for bombette, perhaps it means a small bomb? DSM - I don't know. Mle = `model', as in model number. 1961 may be the model number of the item or the year of design. Pour essai d'entrainement - I'm guessing it means `for training' or `for practice'. The German: Nur fur = `only for'. I don't know what the last German word means.

Thanks guys, I'll wait in hopes that one of our French speaking members happens to read and recognize - the text at least. It was the combination of French and German that made me think of a Swiss possibility.

Just got off the phone from my French friend. She translates as follows -

"Model of small bomb for trial training purpose."

The German: Nur fur = `only for'. I don't know what the last German word means.

'Nur fr Prfzwecke' means 'for proof purposes only' (literally translated). There are slight differences between proof, test and practice!?

Last edited:
Hello,

Found this old thread today.
So herewith the translation

Very complicated designation (thanks to Navy !!!)

-Maquette : mock up
-de : of
-Bombette : very small bomb (designation used by Navy for dropped signals or undropped signals fired from submarines).
-DSM : I don't know this abbreviation (maybe D? Signal Marine). I think it means SUS (Sound Underwater Signal) as this device figures a SUS.
-Mle : model ("modèle")
-pour : for
-essais : trials
-entraînement : Training (dummy/practice) (for practice we usually use "exercice")
Trials/test with training in the designation is difficult to understand !
The construction of our language is sometimes quite complex.

In conclusion : it's a French trial training SUS (signal underwater sound) model 1961.
Maybe this device is only made to test the launcher (it could explain trial/proof and training in same designation)
No info on the German marking (maybe for a Nato collaboration).
Regards

Last edited:
I know other models with similar markings, I think DSM is an abbreviation for the designation. I don't have books of Navy ordnance so I can't be sure.
As it's a practice SUS I think DSM could means "Detection de Sous-Marin" for example. Manufacturer is with the lot number.

Hi Guys,
DSM stand for Détection sous marine, it's Sub Marine detection and yes Minenaz16 it's SUS.
I didn't found the exact model but some thing similar.
This is an air-dropped, signal, underwater sound (SUS) used in an exercise environment to cause a low intensity underwater explosion at a preset depth. It may be used to pass signals to a submarine traveling under water. It may also be used to generate an underwater sound wave which will be reflected from a submarine. The reflection can be sensed by underwater detecting equipment allowing the position of the submarine to be determined.
1.jpeg