What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Questions: Victory lamp and chrome plating.

DEADLINE222

First:

What would the designation be on the 75mm projectiles used to make the Victory lamps?

And second:

It just occured to me that over the years I have seen countless of examples of chrome plated 1, 3 and 6 pounders that have been made into lamps that always have a wooden base and three arms for the light sockets.

Based on the numbers I have seen, I have to ask if there was ever a company who made these?

P1010001.jpg

Hello deadline222,

The WWI "Victory lamp" projectiles were U.S. 75mm Mk. I HE shells that were salvaged following the enormous T.A. Gillespie Loading Company Plant explosion in Morgan, NJ on 4 Oct. 1918. The lamps themselves were put together by the Snead & Company Iron Works in Jersey City, NJ.

The frequently encountered "Three Arm" lamps were built by a number of different firms and varied greatly in the quality of their manufacture.

Best regards,

Randall

You are the man Shelldude.

I happen to have a Victory lamp projectile minus the lamp hardware.

I am wondering if it would be acceptable to turn down the quote on the rotating band, fill in the stampings on the body and paint the projectile as it would have been intended for the war?

Or should iI preserve the projectile's post-war history as a memento, leave it be and wait for a proper MK1 HE?

Thoughts?

Because the "Victory lamp" projectiles are bonafide, genuine unfired 75mm Mk I HE shells, I certainly don't have a problem including them into my U.S. WWI ordnance collection. It's the Mk III fuze adapter that's the most difficult item to locate these days when a person is wanting to put together a complete shell.

P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPG

Hello deadline222,

Look at the photograph I included in my first reply. You'll see the Mk III adapter as it appears when screwed into an HE projectile. I've included a few more photographs to show what it looks like my itself. As far as fuzes are concerned, my collection photograph shows the majority of different types of French & American point detonating and combustion time fuzes that could be used in the HE Mk I projectile.

Best regards,

Randall

I see.

I have one of those "75mm High Explosive, Compliments of the American Can Co" pieces.

If I copy the adaptor on it, and FIND A FUZE then I should be good to go?

FUZE75HE.png

Last edited:
Just purchased one of the American Can Co. 75mms Presentation pieces. Probably paid too much, but I was the 4th Generation to work at the factory from 1909 to the 70's when it was sold to a European Co. that closed it down. That company put a lot of food on the table and put me through school, back when it was still affordable.

I also have some ammo boxes they made and am looking for a nice WW1 gas mask rig with the AC "CANCO" impression.

Best regards!
- Mike

Hello MikeSOOOO,

Thanks for sharing your amazing story with the group. In your case, the amount of money spent is irrelevant compared to the fond memories it will provide.

Best regards,

Randall

During WW2 I found one of the Victory lamps in my grand father's basement. I was maybe12 at the time. He gave it to me and I took it home and delamped it. My father brought home from one of the factories he visited as an engineer a bakelite 60mm mortar fuze. Wonder of wonders, it screwed right in and made a decent looking decoration. that was the start of my ordnance collecting, but due to storage demands, I shifted to 37mm and close relatives.I often wonder where the old 75 went as my younger brother traded it for something while I was off humping ammo at Ft. Sill during the Korean War.