What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pomz ?

Hi jlt1987,
I would say it looks Vietnamese at a guess, but will wait for conformation from the experts on this one, Best regards Weasel.

This is a WW2 Italian V-1 stake mine. This one is missing the top, which was a simple screw-on lid with a fuze well. It used the same push/pull fuzes as in their type R and RM box mines. The fuzes looked different, but functioned the same as the German ZZ42 and the Russian MUV.

Ewag has got it right. Mine came with a couple of small spools of wire hanging off the fuze.

I didn't know there was a postwar model. How can you tell the difference between a "V" and a "V-1"?

Of course evag2,

You can see the differences between the "V. 1" (1941) and the "V" (1950) from these general layout pictures.

MinaV.1_02.jpgModelloV_02.jpg

Then I can list the main differences between the models:

1 - The firing devices, integral in "V. 1" and too (and uselessly) complex vs. the simple "Model R" tripwire fuze used by "Mina V";

MinaV.1_13.gifAccenditoreR_01.jpgAccenditoreR_08.gif

2 - The fragmentation body, a metallic pipe wrapped in a spiral of square (4x4 mm) iron wire for "V. 1" and cilindrical serrated cast iron body for "V";

MinaV.1_06.jpgModelloV_09.jpg

3 - The wooden picket, entirely cilindrical for "V. 1" and pointed for "V".

There are other minor differences, such as the firing chain or the safety system, but I can say that the only common component between the two model of landmines is the charge, a cilindrical 100 g TNT cartridge No. 4.

@jlt1987 the missing top piece:

ModelloVex_03.jpg

Regards
Stecol

Thank you, Stecol, for your detailed and informative answer.

Best regards,
Rob